Sunday, September 20, 2009

I Can Explain


The cup holders in my van tell a story. Actually, five little stories. Here, let me share them with you. It's bound to be mesmerizing.

Story number one. The fake Sigg bottle on the left. I bought water bottles for the kids and went with not-plastic because I am starting to believe the buzz about plastic but that's a whole different post for another day that I probably will never get around to writing. Probably because I have spent too many years drinking out of plastic bottles and now my brain is fried. Anyways, I bought the kids bottles and I couldn't resist the super cute ones with designs and everything and I paid a few bucks more for the pretty pretties and Spiderman ones. Then Nate expressed interest in a bottle of his own so I picked up a manly grey one that just happened to be cheaper, yay! It turns out the screw- in seal is crap and totally doesn't work just a month after I bought it. Awesome. (Hey, I never said these would be stories with an actual point.)

Story number two. The Starbucks cup, front and center. We drive up to the little speaker thingy and I order a Decaf Venti Caramel Macchiato. After pulling around to the pick up window the man hands me my drink and I realize what a difference one little left out word can make. "Iced". Dang it, I wanted iced. Shattered Expectations. It's not that I don't like hot Caramel Macchiatos, I was just all geared up that I was getting an iced one. Nothing like a five dollar cup of disappointment.

Story number three. Blue streamers in the back. Needed to wrap a present at the last minute and didn't have any wrapping paper and we were running out the door so I grabbed a roll of tape and the obvious solution, streamers. Wrapped it in the car on the way there. (This is the part where you make a note to self about never inviting me to your birthday party)

Story number four. The toothbrushes on the right. Last week I secured my place in the insanity hall of fame by taking seven kids to the dentist on the same day. At the same time. I guess my philosophy is the same as the dentist. Get all the pain over with at once. I picked them all up from school and we headed out. Thus the toothbrushes. No dentist wants to see what a kids had for lunch stuck between their teeth. I have no idea who's brush is who's so I just grabbed the whole lot of them and put them in the logical place...the cup holder.

Story number five. The receipt behind the toothbrushes. It's a receipt for a pack of gum. Exciting huh?!

So there you have it. The why behind the mess. The chaos explained. This is all I can handle in one post, I'm not even going to begin to tell the stories from the rest of the van. It would be a novel.

15 comments:

Julie said...

Love your expression "cup of disappointment" I hate that! They get your order wrong and your mouth was watering for what you actually wanted! :) A couple weeks ago all I wanted was a M&M McFlurry... I know, I know, not on the diet, but hey... I went to the golden arches anyways. Only to be told their card machines were down and they were taking cash only! WHO HAS CASH THESE DAYS? All I ever carry is my little plastic debit card! Talk about being disappointed!

Anonymous said...

wow, your Starbucks prints out your order on a little sticker and sticks it to the cup. i can't explain it, but i don't like that.

we got a new (bigger) car a couple months ago and it is full of little potential blog posts...no, it's actually trashed from the kids and me. that car could tell 1,000 stories by now, most of them messy, gross, sticky, or all of the above. poor thing.

-lindsey

Anonymous said...

The toothbrushes made me laugh! I'd be afraid if I had to explain the junk in my car.

-FringeGirl

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

FUNNY POST. I soooo would not even take a pic of the inside of my van right now!

Anonymous said...

Funny post! Thanks for sharing! I was wondering why you had so many toothbrushes in your cup holder! Sorry about the Starbucks sadness! BTW, can you tell me what kind of van you drive? We are going to need a bigger van in the near future!

Heth said...

We have a Ford E-250. It's a 12 passenger and it used to be an airport shuttle. Bought it on ebay. I love it and wouldn't ever want to drive anything else with this crew.

momzie said...

It's funny how much more expensive the wrong order feels...And I don't like the printed Starbucks sticky tag either; hand-written feels so much more personal. Silly, I know.

Good perspective on messes! If we could see all the little piles of stuff as stories of life and people we love, maybe they would stress us as much.

ann said...

Wrapping a present with streamers~now that is fun and resourceful.

nicole said...

So, that doesn't look messy at all. It looks neat and organized. Sorry about the coffee. I don't like iced coffee, but I can appreciate the disappointment. Homemade wrapping is more fun anyway. :)

Angela said...

I've ordered hot when I meant iced before...sometimes they'll change it for you! I know that doesn't help now, but for the future, it doesn't hurt to make the sad eyes and say that you meant iced. You never know...

melanie said...

im guilty of the eyes.. did i really order that..? i love that you have a quad cup holder.. and you got me thinking again about all the chemicals in my cups.. uck.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I love this post. Please tell me you also leave old cups in your van until there are piles and piles and nothing even fits in actual cup holders...that's the best.

Anonymous said...

That could be the picture from my van! I too schedule all our dentist appt. the same time and day. It takes a good three hours but at least it's done!

Last Friday we went and I had to explain my coffee breath to the dentist: "You see I brushed and flossed and then had coffee (because I am crazy and taking all of my children here at once) and then went back up to brush again but instead decided to dramatically fling my toothbrush into the toilet..." It sounded like a good idea at the time:)

I'm such a spaz. So I had coffee breath. But I got a new toothbrush and I marked the dentist of my list for another 6 months!

Chrysanthemama said...

I love it!

Nicole said...

that is awesome!!! I got the kids those stainless water bottles too, cute ones from Old Navy and the seals are bunk too. Rip off. I got a real-life Sigg bottle (LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE It--love it so much i almost sleep with it)
I got it "free" with points I earn for buying overpriced hair products.