Tuesday, February 10, 2009

If You Have A Weak Stomach, Do Not Proceed

Sound asleep in bed at 3:30 am, I awake to a child standing beside my bed. There are two possible sentences this child will utter:

1: "Mom, I think I'm going to barf."

or

2:"Mom, I barfed."

Scenario 1 is a good scenario. I can now steer said child to the toilet and then easily flush away anything...offensive. Scenario 2 is a little more iffy. If the child is old enough, there is glimmer of hope that they made it to the toilet themselves. On the other hand, this one just might not turn out very pretty.

Last night was scenario 2 part B. And to make it even worse, in the child's own words..."Mom, it's BAD." Turns out it was the top bunk of the triple bunk, the loft. The loft that takes me 20 minutes and various contortionist moves just to make the bed. Here we have a middle of the night emergency with three sleeping brothers in the other beds. Happily, I managed to remove the sheets without waking anyone up or spraining my back. Sadly, he was right. It was BAD.

These are the moments that go unrecognized. No one is standing by your bedside applauding you as you return to sleep after a half an hour of cleaning up vomit. No one to thank you for providing middle of the night laundry and sanitizing services. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank all you moms everywhere. "GOOD JOB!", "You cleaned that up like a pro!", "If there were medals for this kind of thing, you get a gold.", "That was some amazing use of bleach skills."

There.

Consider yourselves cheered on.

17 comments:

Truth said...

Way-to-go! I am impressed you managed all of that and at 3:30a.m. I've never understood why some of my kids could always make it to the bathroom and other never could. Do they just not feel it coming up???

Shaybplus3 said...

I am lurker here and feel the need to "de-lurk". That was some pretty amazing work there. I am super impressed that no other children were disturbed during the clean-up process. In my eyes not even Houdini could have pulled that off and I am not even close to Houdini.

Anonymous said...

I stood in front of the screen here and gave you an ovation.
BRAVO!!! I have always been proud of you and this feat of skill is right up there with your marathon and childbirth!
Some day those boys will be daddies and it will be fun to see which option they choose when their children barf at 3 am. Help, sleep, or lay there and thank the Lord for the wonderful mommy their wife is......Ask your dad where he fits. ;-)

nicole said...

Way to go Heth! I would have woken up my much taller husband to help. Well, maybe not, since he is a sympathetic puker. I hope the remainder of the day has less vomit and more cheerfulness.

Anonymous said...

Giving you a standing ovation!

Also? I am so sorry. I hope the kiddo in question is feeling better and the yuckiness is contained.

I probably would have woken everyone up, just because I STILL can't clean up certain things without becoming sick, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I think we were just discussing this in church on Sunday. The whole "I'll take colds and coughs over stinky barf any day!" We shouldn't have talked about the "B" word. Gotta love changing sheets on bunkbeds! Good job mom!

Janelle said...

Right back at cha! Great job!

I hope it's not getting passed around the Laundry Pile family.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Heather... Yuck. Garrett had it over here last week also. No fun!! (and I am betting this isn't going in the "things to remember" journal?) Hope it is limited to the number of kids that get it! and that you don't get it also!! Take care!!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Oh Heth! Cleaning up barf is the worst.

Good work, good work.

You got skillz ;)

Ellen said...

Way to go!! pat pat pat, thats your pat on the back. You're right we don't applause at 3:30 am sometimes we don't even get it when we share the story with our men the next day just,"Man glad I wasn't here." lol. I hope is better soon.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Oh, so that's how you do it... triple bunks! I was wondering!

Yeah, there should be some kind of
atta, boy award... oh, a "Bewitched Award"!!!..... for each barf, we gag our way thru, we should be able to then wiggle our noses the next morning and a scruptious breakfast *blink* appears for all! Boy I wish I could just wiggle my nose in SOOO many instances.... plus she looked cute doing it! ha!

Womandriver2@gmail.com said...

I've always had a weak stomach so when my kids were little if it was "bad" my hubby had to take care of it. I am remarried now and my youngest is 16. They make it to the toilet thankfully. I am, however, expecting a new little one and that is the one thing I am not looking forward to. What do you think my odds are having a child that never barfs?

Tina said...

yep... we got it too.
But, just Em.
Hopefully the other 9 of us won't get it..

--- it might be a long 2 weeks --

Amie said...

You make me totally laugh out loud! That is awesome. And to you - way to go! Without waking anyone up? You ARE a pro!

p.s. if you need someone to stand with you (at a distance) and cheer you on - I would be more than happy to come over next time in the wee hours of the morning.

Anonymous said...

Aww, Heth, now i feel terrible for gloating that my kids hit the toilet the last round here.....
If it makes you feel better I just jumped up and down and gave you an air (although unreturned) highfive.
I think besides the cleaning skills the most important part of that whole situation is not making the kid feel worse than he already does. I am totally guilty of that, half asleep, up to my armpits in barf and testy.
I am sure you and all of your grace cleaned it up and the yet unnamed child still felt crappy, but not crappier!
YAY for you and your awesome Momma skills!!!

angela said...

Now YOU will understand why my girls' beds were debunked!!! Others called me crazy for taking the beds apart and thus making the room smaller, but I say....you try changing sheets on the top bunk in the middle of the night whilst restraining a dry heave or two!!! Gotta love bleach!

Dorci said...

Reminds me of the time my child ate, ad nauseum, literally, a thing of red candy, yes, I said red, all the way back from a fishing trip he went on with my husband.

He proceeded to barf red candy all over the taupe-colored carpet in his bedroom almost the minute they got back.

Took me three days to get that red stain out. Pretty much.

And p.s. - found out the only thing that gets mustard out of carpet is glycerin. Good to know.