Monday, February 02, 2009

Do They Shove It Through The Cable Lines?

So, it turns out the Internet is a pretty convenient thing. I just did something new. I ordered my pizza online. Extra cheese? Click. Pepperoni, of course (thank you very much children and husband). Click. And so on and so forth until I had created our supper using bandwidth instead of actual ingredients.

I am easily impressed.

And also lazy.

And to make it even MORE appealing than the traditional call-on-the-phone-to-order-a-pizza, I didn't have to talk to a single other human being. One step closer to a completely impersonal society. Just doing my part to thrust us into the cold, cold future.

The best part is I'm sitting here watching the status of my order via the "Pizza Tracker". It appears my pizzas are done being prepped and are now baking in the oven. Or so the screen tells me. I believe the screen.

This will be the mantra for the cold, impersonal, online future:

"Believe the screen."

I leave you with some facts from the pizza Fact-O-Matic that keeps supplying me with pizza facts while I wait. Isn't that nice?

"Americans eat an average of 46 slices of pizza a year."

"Pepperoni is the most popular U.S. pizza topping, then mushrooms, sausage, ham, and green peppers."

"Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza a day or 350 slices per second."

Good to know, good to know.


(Oooh it's so exciting, it's out of the oven and on it's way! I better go!)

13 comments:

annieology said...

I love the pizza tracker, makes me feel like I'm doing something when I check it. Also, can refer the kids to it, "Jenny is delivering it right now"

And listen, as far as pizza orders go, I am all for cold and impersonal. Last week I had to order from somewhere else, they'd "outsourced" their calls to a call center. They sent my order to the wrong place, had to wait for the right place to get it, drama, drama, drama.

melanie said...

i can smell it.. it was stuffed crust wasn't it??

Staci Eastin said...

Cool. My husband and I both hate calling and talking to a person when we order.

When my oldest was little he thought that every week or so some nice man just showed up and handed us a pizza. We finally had to explain it, so he wouldn't start accepting food from strangers in general.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes cold and impersonal is the way to go...especially when ordering something as important as your supper.

Never heard of the Pizza Tracker. Sounds like a fun thing to employ to keep the kids mellow while waiting for the pizza to arrive.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

hey! I thought i was the only geek ordering pizza online!!! The last time I ordered by phone.... oh.... it was NOT GOOD.... I was actually in shock that was soooo incredibly "complicated" for the girl on the other end.... wow....it would have made a great SNL skit, it was so bad. Poor thing.

Tina said...

mmm mmm mmm...

it sounds good right now.

gotta love technology.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I had no idea this was possible...of course I don't get delivery here in tiny-town, except from a little pizza joint in the next town. I bet in 10 years they'll be up to speed and have internet delivery. Awesome.

Pam's Pride said...

*sniff sniff* No one will deliver to my house!!! You lucky duck!!


Haha! I just told DH if we got that BIG house we looked at online we would actually be able to get pizza delivery!! (We have not even gone to look at it in person because it is waaaayyyy out of our price range!)

Elle said...

what a funny post,
country life has it's down sides -like no one delivers any food to my house
boo hoo

Anonymous said...

Checking pizza tracker sounds like it's the same thing as peaking in the oven. So light one of those "mancandles" that smells like pizza and put it by your computer.
100 acres of pizza...?!

Mrs. G said...

It's so awesome that they tell you the name of the person who will deliver your pizza. However, one night it seemed to be taking longer than usual from the time that it said "Bart is leaving the store with your pizza." So I stood at the front door waiting...and when he finally arrived he did not find it so funny when I said "Hi Bart, I've been waiting for you"

His Girl said...

very, very futuristic.

the Jetsons could never have dreamed this big.

Truth said...

Online is the only way I order pizza. My family wasn't happy with me, the time their site refused to cooperate. So I didn't order pizza. If I have to pick up a phone and make sense of the way my family likes their pizza, forget it.