Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Own Goodnight Moon

What is it about the book Goodnight Moon? It's magical, I swear. I just can't figure it out, there isn't really anything special about it. The gaudy green and red illustrations aren't that impressive, but every time I start to read, "In the great green room, there was a telephone..." I suddenly have every one's attention. Weird.

So here is my experiment. What if I change the words? What if I personalize it? Will it still have the same power over my children or will it lose it's magic? Let's try it.

In the tiny green house
There was a salamander
And a possible mouse
And a picture of-

A girl with her future spouse

And there were remotes for the Wii all without batteries

And two triple bunks
And seven kids with spunk

And a big string bass
And not much space

And a desk and a drawer and a broke bi-fold door.

And a mom with a mullet who was scrubbing the floor

Goodnight house

Goodnight spouse

Goodnight girl with her future spouse

Goodnight laundry
And the possible mouse

Goodnight Wii
Goodnight batteries

Goodnight bunks

And goodnight spunk

Goodnight pile of boots
Goodnight all Jack's loot

Goodnight bass
Goodnight space

Goodnight desk
And goodnight drawer

Goodnight everybody

Goodnight door

And goodnight to the mom who was scrubbing the floor

Good night snow

Goodnight cold

Goodnight children who are getting too old

35 comments:

Sara said...

Oh Heather. I love you. And this. So cute.

KarenK said...

Precious.

Shannon said...

Oh, Heth. This one just really tugged at me. I think I could recite that book backwards and upside down with a blindfold on.

Anonymous said...

You rock! This is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Heth, that is awesome! I love it! Your version is way better. WAY better.

Anonymous said...

How clever and cute! Makes it so much more enjoyable to personalize it.

bbbunch said...

Fantastic! I enjoy this much more than the original!

Anonymous said...

You got me with that last line.

Womandriver2@gmail.com said...

Cute. I often wonder what that book held as I loved it as a child. I read it recently to a grandchild who was also taken with it and was thinking... this little book is so quick to read and really doesn't have a story so what gives? Of course I didn't say anything to my grandson... I just read it again.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

There is something about that story...and yours sucked me in just like the book does for my kids :)

And the craziness is...I'm going to that play today with Eli's class!!

Need pics of the hair :) You're adorable.

His Girl said...

so awesome. just awesome.

we used to rewrite If You Give a Mouse A Cookie to fit my toddler (now teen) boy.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

cute!!!!!!!!!

Erica said...

You did a great job matching the rhythm of the book. Now, you just need to illustrate it. :)

FLmom7 said...

Very cute, Heth;-)

Anonymous said...

As a mom of 4 I can appreciate your very "Own Good Night Moon"! Right down to the laundry and possible (forget possible, there is one somewhere!) mouse. :) Can I make one suggestion?! Go to Target or where ever and get a package of rechargeable batteries and a charger, it's $$$ up front, but it's saved us a ton! The kids just know now to pop the batteries in the charger at night and they will be good to go the next day, I do it with my mouse batteries as well.

Rachel Marie said...

aww- so cute! you should take pictures and make it a book on shutterfly or something!

Anonymous said...

Shoot, Rachel beat me to it! Take photos and make your own book, but we won't publish and sell it because then you could get sued and lose the whole house, mouse, and laundry pile!

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha! How did I get "anonymous" on my comment? Looks like I am protecting myself in case we get sued!

Stay at Home Gourmet said...

My first time leaving a comment...

Too perfect. Loved it.

Holli T.

Heth said...

Anonymous The sad thing is that we did have rechargeable batteries. At least 10-12 pairs of them. That's a dang lot of money. And they have all disappeared without a trace. Either someone is eating them or throwing them away. Grumble.

Amie said...

My kids love this book, too. I adore YOUR words, though. It way beats "and there were three bears sitting on chairs". I think you should write kids books.

our little acorns said...

Love it.
Love it.
Love it.

Worth delurking for :)

nicole said...

What a great change! I think it is the rhythm of the words that is so captivating. Just now, reading your version, I read it the exact way I read the original. And, at least the way I read it, it is a very soothing rhythm. Perfect for calming down and snuggling in.

melanie said...

i worship you mullet girl.

Stacey said...

So did it work?? It is way cute! You are funny and creative and full of energy!!

Lael said...

I thought your marathon was impressive and inspiring. You just outdid yourself in my opinion. I loved this!

Anonymous said...

Nice and a very interesting post..inspiring too..:)

Jenni said...

I love it. I think your version is way better.

PastormacsAnn said...

No kidding, and I've been reading that book for the last 16 years!

I love your rendition, though. Priceless.

You totally had me laughing out loud with
"And a mom with a mullet who was scrubbing the floor"

You're the best, Heth.

Anonymous said...

awesome!! like i just commented on Nate's status on FB you are dreamy...an i mean it!!

Natalie Joy said...

I love Good Night Moon and I always read it with a dreamy sing songy voice. I read yours with the same voice and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy! You really should make it into a book somehow. Bill could do it on the mac!

Anonymous said...

aww, had to tell you that Gemma was reding the "real" version in Sunday School yesterday it was so cute she totally knows all the words. I asked her if she has that book at home (full well knowing she does) and she said yes, but it is "broke"

tee hee

Mrs. Troop said...

That was amazing! Wow! We love that book, too. But I think yours is better!

Mariah said...

Wow...I love that you rewrote the words to fit your family. What a wonderful idea and it flowed perfectly! I hope your kids enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than the original! I'm not a mom, but my mom use to read it to my sisters and me. Now I'm 20 and can't wait to read it to my future children one day.

Judy said...

You should print it and frame it! IT'S Artistic literature! Very cool! VERY cool indeed!