Thursday, December 04, 2008

Everyone Needs a Match

I just got done sorting socks.

I ended up just dumping the sock basket in the middle of the floor and started matching. I am not exaggerating when I say that I ended up with 70 socks that did not have a match.

70.

Not seventeen, seventy.

Good gracious.

29 comments:

angela said...

holy smokes! now you know when you have a basket just for socks...that is some serious laundry!

Anonymous said...

70 missing socks. Where in the world...

Anonymous said...

I think they are at my house? Let's meet in Nebraska to sort it all out.

Renee said...

I hate socks.

Thankfully we live where the kiddies can spend 10 months out of the year in their flip flops. Socks make life so complicated.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Matched socks are way over-rated.

Start a new trend.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

when I think of laundry, I think of you.

Anonymous said...

Wait - you match your socks?

pcb said...

When my kids were young, I had a special basket just for those socks. Every once in a while I'd go through to see if any of them had found their partner. If not, they were recycled into sock puppets or tossed. It helped when I began to think of socks as a consumable item, like soap or toilet paper...and bought them by the bagful every couple of times I went to WalMart. Even the ones with partners were so filthy on the bottom from going outside (I never did get the whole wearing socks outside but not shoes thing) that they needed trashing. Now they are grown and deal with their own socks. Progress.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

They are over here...maybe if we introduce your seventy to mine, we will have a match. :)

Anonymous said...

You know you could always color code them with Sharpie marker
Hee! Hee! I hear that works pretty good. :)

FLmom7 said...

Wow, 70? I've given up on matched socks...in our house if you have 2 socks that are similar in color and size, or if you just have 2 socks, you have a match! ;-)

Zaankali said...

You own 70 different kinds of socks?!?! I have four kids and I have simplified life by always buying the same kid the same kind/color sock. My husband also wear all of the same kind of sock. Simplify my dear.
Smiles!

annieology said...

I feel your pain. Look under the couch cushions, but not just under you have to stick your hand in the crevasse with the dirt and the crackers. That's where ours live. I don't know how sticking them there is easier than putting them in a hamper....

It also helps to not match, and buy the same style for everyone. Matching socks is something that has never concerned me. We've had 24 kids, and none of them could keep a sock collection to save their life. I think that part of the brain develops during pregnancy.

melanie said...

we could all come over for a great puppet show.. :)

KarenK said...

Ooo! I like the puppet show idea.

Maybe you should take up the Dugger Family sock method. All the girls wear the same size plain white and all the boys wear plain black. Voila!

Ellen said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with socks coming out my ears!!
I'm sticking to the theory that the dryer ate them,lol.

Terra said...

Oh for crying out loud! I will say at least half your family did not come down stairs Thanksgiving Morning with socks that had holes in them...causing your MIL to decide that she must buy everyone socks immediately. I swear not all our socks have holes - two of us just made really bad choices that morning.

Anonymous said...

that is only 10 socks per kid---not bad Heth!!!! or 7.77777777 socks per person!! (not including Randall :) you are doing GREAT!!! (check Gemma's purses for potential mates...just a thought :)

~cjoy said...

I always find my son's socks balled up in the midst of the toys or the hidden things that were theoreticaly "put away". I recently switched his room with my daughters and found no less than a dozen missing socks - and that was just one of my kids.

Rachel Marie said...

Kinda makes you want to move somewhere that you can wear sandals year round, huh?

Truth said...

I'm not surprised at all, lol. You have more kids than I do and I've run into the same thing. And even with them older, I still find huge amounts of unmatched socks. When the total gets to about 20-25, I have finally started pitching them.

Anonymous said...

See, that's what happens when you leave them alone... in a basket... in the darkness of the laundry room.... they MULTIPLY like rabbits!! You need to make some sock monkeys. Each kid could have one for Christmas.:-)

Anonymous said...

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!!!!

Kate said...

Take all 70 and throw them in the trash. I dare you.

Pamela said...

Seventy!!*thud*
When I was young, I was in charge of the sock basket. I had 4 older brothers and a dad. I detested pairing socks.
My dh is so sweet, he buys his socks by the bagful too. And we buy ds's socks by the bagful. Now I just grab two socks and I have a match!! LOL

Anonymous said...

I remember someone blogging that they hung a clothesline over their washer and dryer and pinned all the spare socks overhead so they could match them more easily. Sounds great. Why haven't I done that yet?!

Anonymous said...

I am loving these comments. I'm wondering why you didn't call me?! You know how much I love sock matching.
But I am worried about the poor little guy in the dryer watching you throw away his mate and he can't get out and he's calling out to her in his little sock voice thats muffled because of the glass window separting them.....
Be careful when you sleep. They will all come out from their hiding places under the couch and deep in the boots and work their way down the stairs and into your room...
Socks are not easy. Keeping them matched is like herding cats. One of the great challenges of motherhood.
I'm pulling for ya.
mom

Anonymous said...

I susbcribe to a variation on the popular home work excuse....

The washing machine ate them.

Lovely Rita said...

Be brave. Toss and re-stock if needed. It's worth every penny!