
For Posterity's Sake
It's no secret that I tend to be a little...cluttery. Every flat surface in this house is fair game and everyone, myself included, puts things down where it is most convenient, not where the item necessarily belongs. Yesterday something came over me, I'm not sure what, but I got on a roll and tackled my kitchen counter. You know that I don't mean I literally tackled it don't you? That would be an interesting battle. And an unevenly matched battle, me being inferior.
Let me just give you a cross sampling of the various things I found on the kitchen counter. Keep that in mind, this was the kitchen counter.
It took me over four hours to clean that much counter space. FOUR HOURS PEOPLE! That is just not right. Notice I didn't post a picture of the before. It was just to shocking, too horrific. I'm really hoping that now that it is cleared off, it will last for more than just a couple hours or even a couple days. This must be apalling to those of you who manage to keep you counters this organzized all of the time. I have these two things to say to you:
I'm gonna just keep telling myself that.
Let me just give you a cross sampling of the various things I found on the kitchen counter. Keep that in mind, this was the kitchen counter.
- A VHS tape
- A tree!! Similar to the ones they give the kids at school on arbor day.
- A flashlight
- 16 Magnetix balls
- hydrocortisone cream, Desitin, and three tubes of carmex
- tattoo sleeves
- all the hardware for a wardrobe that still isn't assembled
It took me over four hours to clean that much counter space. FOUR HOURS PEOPLE! That is just not right. Notice I didn't post a picture of the before. It was just to shocking, too horrific. I'm really hoping that now that it is cleared off, it will last for more than just a couple hours or even a couple days. This must be apalling to those of you who manage to keep you counters this organzized all of the time. I have these two things to say to you:
- You must be an alien.
- You don't live with my family.
I'm gonna just keep telling myself that.
22 comments:
Excellent! Guard it with your life. (Or is it too late?) I've been trying to keep my counters perfectly clear, but the minute I put one thing there, everyone else sees that as an open invitation and it is full in a moment. But I keep slaving away at it.
Now if I could put that much effort into my laundry room. Remember when I posted my "clean" laundry room? Don't remember when that was, but it has been bad for sometimes. (Hangs head in shame.) I worked on it right before I went on my trip-for 4 hours and didn't get it finished. Sigh. Guess I should get off the computer and try to fight my way in there.
It's such a GREAT feeling having the counters cleaned off that you'd think we'd aspire to keep them like that. I have one section (my island) that I call the Pig Zone and that seems to help keep the rest of the counters in pretty good order. The bonus is that my trash drawer is at one end of the island and the junk drawer at the other, which helps!
Nice job! Your countertop looks great. I always manage to pile papers on one section of counter. I hate all those paper that come from school. I NEVER know what to do with them.
Man, my counter is cluttered too, and my desk, and, and, and..oh my, I could go on forever. Once I did Flylady, and it worked, back when I had 3 small kids. You'd think that now that they are older, and there are more of them, that it would be easier, but no.
Good job, it looks great.
This kind of excavation is excellent for the sake of history.
It doesn't happen too often at our house either.
You know it sister - if you lived alone
the clutter wouldn't exist
I have a constant battle with clutter and piles on a counter in my kitchen - near the door
good luck
I too recently found a VHS tape, my three year olds had no clue what it was.
The clutter around here has gotten better since have three at once, they are being trained right, the rest of us however, we have some problems.
Congrats on you clear counter.
Good for you! I totally know the feeling. We are in the process of selling our house and in attempt to make my tiny kitchen appear more spacious, they say clear the counters of just about everything. Great in theory...now I'm praying that no one will open the cupboards and see all the "counter" stuff shoved in there!! :)Oh, well.
hey, I'm so happy for you, but I think I got you beat. My counter has... spray paint, light bulbs, a box of nails, used sand paper, a paint tray with the paint still in it, front line flea treatment, 2 purses, rope, need I go on? The one and most important of all is my husband mitre saw!!! I hate it. it drives me crazy, but sometimes when we are in the middle of a project why put everything away if your just gonna use it the next day. Hopefully I will get my energy back and God will give my Husband and I the boost to get it done.
I tell myself the same thing.
I have a counter clutter problem too, and blame it on the kids too. Dh is kind of OCD about any clutter at all, which makes him annoying (or me, depending on which personality you are). I cleaned off my counters yesterday and it felt good to be able to see them- but you know it won't last. It's hopeless!
Heth it looks great. Good job! The island is our catch-all...and the counter by the fridge...and the desk in the living room...and the desk upstairs...our bedroom dressers...not to mention the various drawers that contain a bunch of clutter...it's everywhere.
Moving twice in two years sure helped us get rid of a lot, but it's amazing how fast it accumulates again.
The wardrobe parts still aren't in?? Oh man!
Uh, yeah, Heth, I'll keep telling myself that, too. "My house would be neat as a pin if the darn husband and kids didn't mess it up!" Is it wrong to lie to ourselves?
Dear Heth,
Can I come over for a play date?? I know you don't know me, but I would feel SO at home I promise. In fact I just feel better knowing my kitchen counter(s) is (are) normal.
On second thought, would you mind putting everything back on the counter before you invite me over? Thanks.
cjoy
I do the same thing, take pictures now and then when a room just looks SOOOO good. It never lasts. EVER. In fact, today i am going to take pictures of how I organized some stuff in my kitchen. I might even take pics of the living room because since the daughter and three grandkids left... I can see the end tables. The stuff I threw away... hope they don't miss it. They left it behind so I saw it as fair game. :) Some day they'll learn to pick up after themselves... sure they will.
i am forever fighting the clutter battle, too. here's hoping your counters stayed clear for a while.
sorry about noelle's hospital stay. that must have been scary. i hope she's doing much better now.
and, finally, thanks for the book recommendation!
I wish you could see my house today...you'd be proud...piles...EVERYWHERE.
heth, that is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes.....my sister in clutter, please please let me come over wednesday and see it for myself--you are such an inspiration to me :) all kidding aside that looks awesome!!!... but i notice the dishwasher and microwave are both closed....hmmm....no "strategic re-placement" occurred? like at my house on halloween---still have piles of stuff in my bedroom so the 3 trick or treaters that showed up did not see my clutter on the table---darn glass doors :)
you know i totally love you, right!!?!?! because i do.
We must be related...On just one of my counters right now I have a talking santa doll, bowl full of hair clips, camera, candle, costco card, cell phone, pen, two sticky notes, recipe book, several work related folders, receipts, a computer....and on and on...I won't be cleaning mine off till Thursday night..MIL comes next week, house getting clean on Friday and IT WILL STAY CLUTTER FREE FOR 1 WEEK - I VOW TO IT.
T
I'm telling you, I thought I was the only one who fought that very same battle here at the McResidence. I am so glad to hear I am not alone.
Thanks for the inspiration! With great humility, I posted the before picture.... :-)
Post a Comment