Yes, it's official. I have a crown.
After a bit of a delay, I finally got a real, white, pretty, eye tooth. Or as I like to call it, my iTooth. It ended up being quite the experience. The first appointment was a slam dunk. Everything went well and she put a temporary on and sent me on my way with instructions to carry toothpaste in my pocket in case it came off. Very reassuring. The second appointment didn't go so well. The tooth came back from the lab and she wasn't happy with how it looked, with the shape of it. I laid there in the chair as she put it in place and I watched her and the assistant exchange a curious but knowing look. I knew right away something was wrong. She didn't end up using it because, in her words, "it looked like a snaggletooth." Snaggletooth is not the look I am going for here. So she put the temporary back on and told the lab they needed to try again.
I cried. Because I'm mature like that. But I waited until I got home to cry, crying at the dentist's office is reserved for novocaine needles but even then it's just silent tears that escape the corners of your eyes against your will. So I had two more weeks with a temporary. Then on Monday I went in for my coronation. No novocaine was needed. She popped that baby in and did a little tweaking. Mostly painless. She did mess with my gums a lot and after doing so she made the most interesting comment. "Your tissues are going to be upset." All I could picture was being chased down by an angry box of Kleenex.
So number one on my Thankful list this year is a very superficial, very cosmetic, "I'm thankful for my smile." Since I was 14 years old I've dealt with an iTooth that didn't fit with the rest of my teeth. Now it finally does.
I have all of the typical things to be Thankful for. All the things I take for granted on regular old days. God forgive me for being so dismissive of huge blessings in my life.
My kids haven't gotten the thankfulness memo yet. Not ten minutes into Thanksgiving Eve and they were at each other's throats. There is no school today and it is very, very clear that they are not at all thankful for each other's presence. Or for the selection of cereal. Or for one t.v. to be shared by all. Looks like a crash course in Thankfulness is on the agenda for the day. Thankfulness boot camp.
It will involve cleaning for sure.
6 comments:
I'm glad to hear your crown came out ok. I'm also glad to hear I am not the only one who dislikes dental app'ts. Good luck w/ the kids. Same problem here; they are not thankful for no school. Unlike me, who is SOOOOO thankful for the break!! :-)
Lucky you to have it before the big day (tomorrow!). My poor husband has his temporary crown on until Dec 11, and meanwhile he has to be careful not to dislodge it. He says it already feels loose.
As for the kids, I sure hope they (both yours and mine) are thankful for each other when they grow up. I am counting on it making all this worth while! LOL on the cereal, I heard the same argument this morning.
yah!! it's over...!!!
happy day to you guys tomorrow, eat lots and lots of dessert on with that new tooth- it will make your gums happy:)
I want to send my kids to your thankfulness boot camp too K? We had our main TV go down last weekend so we are having tv wars too. LOVE that. the one we have in the livingroom right now does not even have a remote...i am thankful for kids that can change the channel when I dont want to get up and do it myself! hugs and happy yummy desert day AKA Thanksgiving!!
Ah, boot camp. It can last anywhere from a few hours to 18 years!
You iTooth is beautiful and you have been very patient and uncomplaining for 14 years of waiting.
I'm Thankful for you!!
may i request a picture please?!?!? and i love itooth...oh so super cool you are!
Post a Comment