Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Surprised Her Real Good

For a couple weeks Nate and I were keeping a secret, we had plane tickets to the East side of the country. We had hopes of surprising Nate's sister Ann and her husband Eric. They moved out there last year and had resigned themselves to the fact that it was just too far away for us to drag the whole crew out for a visit. Driving would take us weeks at the pace we travel, with bathroom breaks every five miles. Can you imagine how angry the people behind us in the security line at the airport would be if we flew out there with the whole crew? Taking off four hundred pairs of shoes and jamming up the x-ray machine with all of our carry-ons? What a nightmare.

But what if somehow, someway, just Nate and I could sneak away for a couple days? They would never see that one coming. My parents were more than willing to take the kids so that we could complete this mission of secrecy. Nate's parents were in on the plan, they were out there visiting Ann and Eric themselves and quickly came up with a great story that would allow them to sneak away and pick us up at the airport.

Saturday morning, the plan commenced. We boarded a plane and began our kidless journey. We were both giddy with anticipation, and also with copious amounts of Starbucks purchased along the way. Send me on any kind of a trip and I will order a venti caramel macchiato at every Starbucks I see. Nate's parents picked us up right on time and the four of us giggled practically all the way back to the house. About a block away they dropped us off and they went ahead without us. We waited a few minutes and then walked right up the sidewalk and rang the door bell. Here is what took place next.



It was awesome.

(Her perspective of the whole thing is here.)

19 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

SO Awesome!

I cried when I read her post this morning, and now cried at your pics too!!

Anonymous said...

I cried too!!! YAY for surprises!!!

bethtrue said...

That's so cool! Good job!

Rachel Marie said...

Tears in my eyes! What a great surprise- how fun.

Anonymous said...

It was the best best BEST! Thank you so much for an unforgettable weekend! I promise I'll wear my hat :)

Sara said...

Ooooh...you know I'm a sucker for surprising :) When I read that you were out there on your Facebook, I seriously thought you packed up all the kids and drove. And then I thought...."nahhhh!". :) But I still didn't figure out how you did it until I read this. What a fun time of sweet memories. You did good :) When are you going to secretly fly to Bozeman? hee hee

Anonymous said...

I keep tearing up over you and Ann's accounts and the great photos. Good times. Start plotting the next vistit!!

PastormacsAnn said...

That is just too sweet for words. I'm getting all choked up.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for leaving out the part where I didn't invite you inside and I actually shut the door on you :) It seemed like I stood there for five minutes just staring at you guys, not sure that what I was seeing was real. We had a great time! I mean, how often do you get to watch Back to the Future 3, The Price is Right and sing the Phantom of the Opera music all in the span of two days? I say never! Thanks guys, it was awesome! Oh, Nate you still need to come back and get my video cards installed :)

Eric

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

This is great!

So happy the two of you could make this trip.

Ann's response is priceless.

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOOOOOO SWEEET!!

KarenK said...

Oooo! HOWFUNHOWFUNHOWFUN!

melanie said...

this was completely the best.

Anonymous said...

how fun! those are great surprised photos! i especially like the third one...it totally conveys ann's excitement & surprise :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so nice! I'm so happy for you. My brother, sister-in-law and kids live far away too and it just stinks.

Tina said...

You guys are so cool.
Come surprise me.

Laura Lu said...

you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job capturing it with pics!!! :)

Still Learning said...

I am still crying! That is the best!!! I can totally FEEL the love and happiness!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh how sweet! Off to read her perspective.