(Disclaimer: this post is not for men. Or for the faint of heart. I'm just warning you.)
It has turned cold. Suddenly.
Earlier this week I ran in capris but for this morning's run I pulled out all of the cold weather clothes. The temperature was right at freezing, 32 degrees, so I wore running tights, a long sleeved shirt, a vest, a hat, and gloves. The tights are something new for me. In the past we have gone inside to the treadmill at the first sign of cold weather but this year we are tough. This year Kelsey and I have decided to stay out as long as possible until there is ice on the ground ready to slip us up or the threat of frostbite. Thus the tights. And they live up to their name. They are tiiiiight. But we run in the morning, in the dark and no one is ever around to be traumatized by my tights.
This morning we ran 8 miles. It was beautiful out on the trail. We were pretty much the only ones out there, the snow was falling softly and all was silent except for our constant stream of conversation. The trees have all shed their leaves now and the fields were dusted with a sprinkling of white powder. Serene.
We finished up at our cars and stood and stretched for a bit. It was still fairly early but light out. We parted ways and I jumped in my car and started it up, trying to get warm. I pulled out of the parking lot and was about to make a right to head home when I remembered that I needed a few things at the grocery store. I went left instead. I was feeling pretty good about how much I was going to accomplish before 9 am, a good run, getting the fridge stocked back up, yay! I grabbed my purse off of the passenger seat and headed in to the store. It was as I came up to the door that I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection and abruptly remembered. I was wearing tights. Tight tights.
It was too late, I was past the point of no return. I have never been so self conscience while grocery shopping in my whole life. I was aware of every step I took and where every other customer was in relation to my backside. I strategically maneuvered my way to the broccoli, to the Mayo, to the pasta. I spent as little time as possible at the meat counter, feeling very aware of the rump roast staring at me from the other side of the glass. It seemed that there were a lot more teenage boys working this Saturday morning shift than usual. As I bent over into the freezer case and reached for a bag of mixed veggies, I closed my eyes and sent up a prayer beseeching God to strike all shoppers in aisle six with temporary blindness for just a few seconds. I paid quickly and me and my panty lines exited the store as fast as humanly possible. It was the fastest grocery shopping I have ever done.
A sprint.
Records were broken.
I am a much humbler person than I was just hours ago.
19 comments:
Come on Heth. You know all those teenage boys were being quite smitten with your marathon-fit physique. Plus what doesn't kill you and all that.....
Ha!
Ok, so running outside in the winter makes for some of the BEST RUNS EVER! Everything seems quieter, like the world is going at a slower pace. I made it my goal last winter to stick to outdoor running and it was an incredible running season, so keep it up! You won't regret it.
Now on a much more personal note - it's all up to you, and your preference as a runner - but, shed the undies while running in tights. Especially if you plan on grocery shopping after your run;-) And, because usually when you run distances over 10 miles in tights, the undies and the tights might rub in all the wrong places...if you know what I mean.
What a great post for a Saturday!
Lol! I have been reading your blog for a bit but have never commented before. Your posts always give me a giggle!
"beseeching"...that's the best.
I hear ya on the tights...as soon as the sun starts to rise we know our run is over...kinda like vampires.
YAY for running outside!!
okay, that was funny! and I saw your six or more gallons of milk from the store yesterday ( at Irving...loading the cello thing)....funny! I just gotta know... do you have two fridges?
you have just inspired me to take an 8 mile run.
no really- I agree that COLD weather just FEELS better. Especially with long runs.
and humility.
aaaahhhhh.....the beauty of humility
Heth, you are so funny and have such a comical way of describing life's events. :) By the way, I thought you rocked those tights!
Yeah, you can't fool me. I know you looked AWESOME in those tights. And I. Am. Jealous.
But what a beautiful run! That sounded just lovely. I wish I had a running buddy. But until I find one, it's the treadmill for me! But I'm sure once the snow gets here (it was 70 here yesterday!) I will have beautiful scenery looking out the window while running on the treadmill.
LOL! What a great post.
My friend in Maine runs all winter - outside. I think she's nuts, but she presses on.
dang it why do i only run into your hubby at the store?!?!?! I am sure you were stunning in the tights as with everything else you wear...i bet the rump roast was jealous of the sweet airtight packaging on your rump...as it was all nekkid and stuff :)
oh i love what not to wear
go stacy and clinton
but what do they know about running and running a household with many hungry mouths
cute post
Now your skinny jeans will feel like baggy pants. This was so funny!
I will think of you everytime I see the rump roasts.
Humility has been gained by many methods and I don't think I will try yours...
temporary blindness...ROTFL!
the rump roasts... you crack me up!
Come on... NO PICTURE of you in the tights! What a let down!
Oh my Lord!! Isn't it amazing, the things we'll do as adults? Even though you were embarrassed, you still shopped because you HAD to. Had you been about 10 years younger, I'm thinking you might have skipped the trip altogether, right?
(of course, if I WERE 10 years younger, I'd have no problem showing off my pre-kid butt...)
Ok, so I just had to comment. You are a runner who has just completed a marathon- so, I'm just guessing that you have a great bod. Embrace it!! Embrace the tights and the toned legs and posterior region. It's not like you are one of those women who leave the house in their tights with their large pendelous abdomens hanging over the top...ughh. If you've got it flaunt it!!
Well good for you for pushing onward. I would have turned around as soon as I caught a glimpse of myself in the glass, lol. But then you are way cuter and so much younger. Go spandex! (Come to think of it, I wouldn't squeeze into tights no matter how cold it is.) You are so funny.
I'm not so worried about you, Mrs. Marathon. Now, if you were a sedentary 46 year-old, Clinton might have popped out of the wine aisle to accost you.
Post a Comment