Tuesday, November 06, 2007

When You Don't Know What to Post, Post Photos

I am in an amazing Beth Moore bible study right now. On this morning's video, she said something profound. Actually, she said a whole lot of profound things, this study of the tabernacle is just blowing my mind. The one specific that thing she said had me nodding my head and laughing in agreement. She made reference to having "Domestic ADD". I knew there had to be a name for it. I have alluded to this before, here and here. When those two words came out of her mouth, I knew I had an official diagnosis.

If you were to take a stroll through our house right now you would see the symptoms. The stack of mail is partially sorted, the filters from the vacuum cleaner have been removed and cleaned but haven't been put back, most of the kids' closets are about 50% sorted for the big switch from summer to winter clothes. The dryer door is open, I started folding clothes but must have moved on to some other chore, mid-sock match. Etcetera, etcetera. It just goes on and on, I'm not kidding. A lot of the time I live in frustration with myself over the whole thing. So I wanted to focus on the positives. My living room is my favorite room in the house right now. I have some photos of the makeover. No, it is not quite done. I'm not sure that it will ever be. My decorating is never finished, it's always a work in progress. I took these pictures in a 30 second window of clean. It never, ever, ever looks like this. You think I'm kidding, don't you?

This is the couch and end tables that I put together to make a little coffee table. We are down to just the red table and one blue and the blue one has already been repaired. I would just like to point out the fact that I got crazy with the cordless drill and managed to hang all wall art myself. I'm not proud of myself or anything.


These are my Ikea curtains that I built the whole room around. I am in love with them. To me they say "crazy fun". Which is pretty much the story of our lives. A little more emphasis on the crazy sometimes.


This is the big heavy metal thingy that I hung by myself complete with wall anchors and everything. It was a little crooked but I fixed it. Not sure how stable it is but oh well. Just be careful not to slam the front door.



This is my rug. The rug and I have a love/hate relationship. It is a great rug, 5'x8' and so much fun. A little something I learned about the rug after I brought it home and laid it in the middle of the room is that it sheds. It sheds a lot. It sheds enough to fill my vacuum canister every time I vacuum. Too bad the new look for fall isn't red fuzzies all over a black sweater.

So there you have it. The new living room. Nate is working on trim, we have a closet door to hang and it should be done.

Also, LOVE the new laminate floors but I am COMPLETELY grossed out my how much dirt we generate. Oh my goodness, that was all in my carpet and I didn't know it. Bleh.

19 comments:

melanie said...

heth, i really love it- it is adorable.. it seems like all my rugs shed? but red.. ?? cute though! and the wall hangings look great!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job decorating. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice. I love IKEA!

I have domestic ADD too, but it is so not my fault. How can I have anything else when my kids just keep interup

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Domestic ADD? But you have a boatload of kids! Maybe you expect too much of yourself. Laminates--I, too, was grossed out by the now visible dirt. Unbelievable. and it gathers around the edges. I think when we walk across the floor, it scatters to the edges. Makes me think of Peanuts' Pig Pen.

Truth said...

I am so impressed! You have such artistic talent. Did you say domestic ADD? How funny, I must have that too. I have an area downstairs (ok, the whole downstairs) that is a disaster. Whenever I look at it, with the intent of doing something, I am overwhelmed and go off to do something else.

Today, I decided to devote 1 full hour to getting started. I will try to do this every day, but if not, every other day. I figured I could tackle anything if I knew I only had to stay with it an hour.

I did it! Actually, it was 2 hours. (Well, I did fold some laundry, put in 2 additional loads, hang a poster in dd's room, and browsed through an old church directory in that time too.) But, I know I got in a full hour on the area. It didn't change a lot, but I figure it is a good start. I can't wait to finish now. Hopefully, I can stay on target on not get too distracted.

Oh shoot, I just remembered, Michael is golfing tomorrow. I love going shopping when he is gone, lol. I can still squeeze in an hour, right?

Anonymous said...

What a great room! I'm sure the kiddos love the colours, too!

Anonymous said...

So gorgeous! What a huge transformation. Love, love, love it! Do you Swifer your laminate floors? A friend introduced me to Swifer, and now I'm a Swifer-woman (sometimes I even sing the Swifer song from the commercial). :)

Staci Eastin said...

It looks so nice. I love the colors!

Monkey Giggles said...

Love the colors too. I feel your pain about a SHEDDING rug. I figure in about a year it should just disappear. Smile

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

Looks beautiful! I can certainly relate to the domestic ADD.

Ann said...

Heth, it looks awesome. You did a fabulous job. You have such a cool style. I love the red rug, and I know that if you ran around with a black sweater covered in red fuzzies, it would catch on very quickly and be the new latest trend because you would make it look cool.

I hear you on the domestic ADD, sometimes I think to myself, "Okay, pick something and DO IT."

Anonymous said...

Um.

I am having my BIL get the EXACT curtains for Beatrix's bedroom. I'm so glad you like them because I won't see them in person until they are in my mitts. The closest IKEA be 458 miles away. So I am relegated to looking at the tiny pictures on the website and hoping for the best.

Anyway, your house looks adorable. Of course. I am impressed with your skills.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

It looks beautiful and oh so fun!

I loved that statement too, especially when she screamed at herself to finish brushing her teeth.

Carina said...

Oh, I hear you about the ADD. Definitely a problem in this house.

I have also been unpleasantly surprised by the shear volume of lint, dust and general crud that my laminate floors revealed. My husband says, "See, that was in our carpet all the time and we didn't know it. Isn't laminate great!?" I say, "Ignorance is bliss."

Laura Lu said...

Domestic ADD...um yah, totally got that! I think of myself as a pinball and bouncy ball...I go all over the place and up and down the stairs all day long. I even make weird little noises along the way!

You are an absolute doll...your decorating shows who you are, and I Love, Love, Love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your living room is absolutely beautiful!! And I'm not a "modern" type chickie-poo but that really IS pretty!! Thanks for sharing!!

~HomeKeeper

Anonymous said...

Heth, I can recommend the Swiffer sweep and vac. It seems my dirt can be a little chunkier around here and the vac part gets those while the dust pad gets the rest. Great for all non-carpet floors. sometimes you can print coupons from their website.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the name "Butterfly Syndrome" over Domestic ADD - it sounds "prettier" and somehow not so bad. LOL

Judy said...

It's beautiful!