Monday, April 09, 2007

Disposable

This is our second attempt at being goldfish people. We were given two little fishies and surprisingly, after a week of living with us, the two little orange guys don't have names yet. We are very casual fish owners. They sat on the kitchen counter in a ziplock bag for a good day or so before I put them in a temporary holding area. That would be a tupperware bowl. Finally I remembered to pick up a real true fish bowl. I think they were happy to have a permanent home complete with a purple and black pebble "sea bed". They were probably also wondering what kind of fate they were in for, being neglected so early in our relationship. You know, watching the nameless fish swim endless circles around their bowl takes me back. Back to our first attempt at fish ownership........

We inherited a goldfish from my little sister a few years ago. I was new to the whole fish thing and I didn't know the first thing about changing the water in the bowl. You can see where this is going. About a week after we took the adoptive fish under our care, I dumped out the water, rinsed out the bowl, and filled it back up with new water......tap water. Sure enough, within a few minutes our little buddy was belly up and floating around the surface of his underwater home. The kids were mad at me. I appeased them with a fish funeral that we happened to capture on home video. I watched that video recently and made a note to myself. "Next time it might be a good idea to thoroughly scrub the toilet before documenting it for all of eternity." Each of the kids took a few moments to say their farewells to the deceased fish in the plastic dixie cup. Noelle's speech was especially dramatic and full of sorrow. She handed the cup to the previous fish owner and Mariah then said her goodbyes. Again with the drama, and then a small silly smirk revealing her true feelings toward her pet . At the very moment, she squeezed the cup a little too hard and dead fish water splashed up onto her face. The fish had the last say. All solemness was thrown out the window in exchange for "eeeews" and lots of laughter. The fish was quickly flushed down the dirty toilet and that was the end of that.

This time I am hoping we can improve our record by at least a few weeks. Dare I hope for months? I am armed with a bottle of chlorine neutralizing drops for our tap water and a jar of fish food that should last us a year or two. Now if we could only think of some names or they will be remembered as John and Jane Doe in their inevitable eulogy. It's really only a matter of time.

16 comments:

Renee said...

Oh we have BTDT..

RIP
Charlie
Nemo 1 and 2
Chub-Chub
Dash
Floyd
Rainbowprincessheart
Pharoh-Pharoh...

I told my dc that goldfish don't live very long. Of course then we came across the Guiness Book of World Records which says the longest living goldfish is 42. Can you believe it? The Guinees people lying like that ;o)

Long live the fish!

Blessings,
Renee

Heth said...

Renee- Rainbowprincessheart. That is seriously the best fish name ever.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, fish. I thoroughly despise cleaning fish bowls, so we haven't had any for quite some time. I think Spongebob and Patrick might be good monikers for your pair, though.

Rocks In My Dryer said...

Oh dear. We had a similar track record with the two goldfish we attempted to make a part of our family. They were named Billy The Fish, and Billy The Fish Two.

Creative, we are.

Unknown said...

Ugh! I know how you feel. My son wanted some a year or so ago...well, they lasted a few months then died. This time all 3 goldfish and one algae eater have lived for 7 months and counting. We clean it out once every 3 months, add more clarifier and chlorine stuff........and they are also in an actual fish tank. And we even "forget" to feed them for a few days. Good Luck.

melanie said...

what about shawn and bill??

red flag: if chlorine kills a fishy in 5 minutes, what does it do to us..?

ours is "shiny" and is swimming in mucky water, it has ate cat food and has matchbox cars as treasure chests. poor fish.

Anonymous said...

I had fish. But now I don't. I get bad fish dreams, especially when I'm pregnant. Like, um seeing them dead, or thinking t hat I accidentaly eat them. Like that even makes sense. BUT I have no control over that.

I wonder what it means when you dream that...

Janis Rodgers said...

Been there and done that. We went through quite a few fishies before I just called a halt to the serial killing. Our dog and cat have fared much better thankfully. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Great fish story.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

This was a great story for a Monday afternoon!

Natalie Joy said...

I, too, like the names shawn and bill. Very befitting. OUr fish have managed to survive as well. OUrs are named "Glowey" and "Vivian Laura".

Anonymous said...

I am calling 1-800-DED-FISH right away. You think that you will have that fish in your home for more than a few days after leaving it in ZIPLOC bag for the first 24 hours?!?!??? Don't waste your pregnant brain on naming the poor things...they are on their way out of this world. The best thing you could do right now while I am on the phone is to go clean your toilet. I believe the reps. at DED FISH will be calling you shortly to review my complaint. (I believe in fair and humane treatment of all creatures!) ;)

Tina said...

yeah, I have to agree...it's only a matter of time...thankfully! :)

happy name hunting...

how about Squidword and Patrick?

Trina said...

OH my gosh you are such a funny mommy! I just love your posts!

Truth said...

Your fish story brought up so many memories. Our problem here is "pets" always live longer than their expected life expectancy. My husband actually chose a hamster as the kids first pet because everything he read said they had the shortest life. How sad is that???

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You win the award for best phrase in a post this week: "We are casual fish owners." So funny!