Yesterday something glorious happened. At approximately 5:00 pm, I closed the door on an empty dryer and surveyed the situation; every single piece of laundry that we own was clean and folded and every bed was now draped in freshly washed sheets. I don't think that has ever happened before in the history of our family. I fully expected the sky to open and a ray of golden sunlight to shine down upon me while a choir of angels sang the Hallelujah Chorus. If not that, at least a marching band and streamers. But nothing happened except that I was really, really happy.
And then the family disrobed and put on their pajamas, filling my dirty clothes baskets with yet another load. And of course last night a little person wet their bed. So my moment is over, but for that short window of time, I felt deep peace. The planets had aligned and all was right with the world.
Excuse me, I need to go throw a load in the washer.......
20 comments:
I so know what you mean. That has happened here in my house MAYBE 5 times. And it only lasts about an hour before there is some piece of clothing or dishrag or towel making itself at home in the hamper.
I hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. It IS such a wonderful feeling. :)
The marching band couldn't be there because of the SNOW!
Congratulations, anyway. We all feel the joy of the moment with you!
It's a trap. It's never done until you move into a nudist colony or something. I always have either something to fold, put away, wash or else some little person will have gone into a dresser and pulled out every blasted thing onto the floor.
I try not to think about it. It hurts to think about it.
Im sorry I wanted to respond sooner, but I must have fainted and than came to again....rofl I thought that a ray of golden light would come down during such a glorious moment too. Now I know not to bother with trying to achieve such a goal!
Now that is a perfect day!!!
Today is my laundry marathon. IT's 9 am and I am already two loads in! Only about 10 more to go!
I can't even begin to relate to that feeling.
And LOL at Jan B's comment. Suddenly the thought of a nudist colony has a strange appeal...
Oh, that reminds me to throw a load or two in here too!
I SO understand the "everybody shucks their clothes and there's an instant load"
At least with summer coming the clothes are smaller, so it takes longer to fill the basket.
there is NO way that has EVER happened at my house....
HUGE APPLAUSE!!!!
I think my new least favorite chore in the house is now laundry. It never bothered me before now, and I'm not sure what changed except I realized you CAN'T EVER BE DONE!
I need to steal your blog name! (lol, jk)
As long as you are doing yours, what's a few more (dozen) loads? Hint hint. :)
Heth,
I am so impressed. I read your post this morning and all day as I was trying to get mine folded and put away, in between my coming and going, I kept thinking of the feeling and wondering what it would be like.
You deserve more than a marching band girl!!!
What, not even a pile of socks left to match up? Now that's an accomplishment. I'm glad you celebrated your victory while you could because (as Sisyphus learned), the rock never stays at the top of the hill for long.
This captures why housework is so discouraging to me: every so often you can complete a task, but only for an instant.
Shortly after, life goes on and another plate needs rinsing, another flat surface needs dusting (at least occasionally), another floor needs mopping, and another load of whites needs washing.
Never. Ending.
But it means that life is happening, and that's good.
Another dirty sock means another lively kid has raced around playing, singing, laughing, dancing, squabbling...
I *try* to keep my perspective.
So *that's* why there were glowing lights and music coming from the east last night.
Congratulations on your brief shining moment of Done.
Wow, I'm TOTALLY unfamiliar with that sensation. Even now (and I have 3 kids) there is a pile of clean-need-to-be-folded and two piles of dirty-to-be-washed waiting on me. Laundry is my least favorite household chore, so I'm slowly having my 9 year old take it over.
YES i can respond to you again!!!!
AWESOME JOB... can't wait to babysit!!
Can I sing Hallelujah for you??? I don't think I have ever been completely caught up with the laundry and had everything put away. I can only dream about it. I'll bet that was the most equisite feeling in all the world, even if it only lasted a few hours.
Oh man, can I relate to this laundry post. It's like another entity living at our house, and here more than our teenagers are.
Congrats!!
I don't ever recall having been totally caught up on the laundry.
I've always thought that if I went to Hell, my permanent assignment would be in the laundry room sitting on the floor next to the hot dryers matching socks from hundreds of baskets.
Oh my goodness, if that were to ever happen here, a ray of sunlight WOULD shine down on me! Even if it was only a halucination! I would even hear a choir! And then everyone would go to bed and there would be more.... I just don't care anymore.
Oh, but I did find something that works great for bedwetting! A tablespoon of local honey every night, and soon the bedwetting is almost completely gone. (for as long as the honey continues, go figure) But honey is cheaper than all the washing and drying. And just worth it anyways to have less laundry and better self esteem.
Post a Comment