Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Vacation

Well, we are officially on vacation. Right now. Right this very minute.

We left about noon and we are headed north, to the lake in northern Minnesota. So far we have watched El Dorado and most of the Phantom of the Opera. Pipe cleaners were a great diversion, we constructed bracelets, a spider and a beautiful flower sculpture.




We had to make a couple of stops for potty breaks and a couple of stops for our growling stomachs, and Nate just announced that: "That's it. We aren't stopping again until we get there." Mapquest says it's a seven hour trip. So far we are at seven and a half with another hour and a half to go. Mapquest doesn't have six kids.

Thanks to Mr. Techtronic himself, I am able to surf the internet as we cruise along the highway. The connection is about as fast as dial-up but I'm not complaining. Let's all sing along with Kip. "Yeeeees, I love technology." Check it out, I took these pics with the camera phone and then emailed them to myself in the middle of a pine forest.

I guess I'm a little nerdier than I thought.

Ok. I'm outtie like a belly button. I'll think of you all as I'm sunning myself on the beach.



12 comments:

Keithclan said...

What kind of van do you drive? Is there an eight passenger mini van? The kids like to invite other kids swimming, to church, etc. and we try to help pick up some of their schoolmates for sports who wouldn't be able to play otherwise, but we always have to take 2 vans. We would eventually like to buy an old 13 passenger for these occassions. Was just wondering what your solution is.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Heth said...

Keithclan- We drive "the Beast". It is an old airport shuttle. A 1998 Ford E-250 that seats 12. We found it on Ebay and that was an adventure I will have to tell you all about some other time. Anyway, I wouldn't go back to a minivan. I LOVE having the extra space, it even has an aisle. With four extra seats, we can seperate the kids so that they aren't in touching distance of each other. It's a dream come true. I highly recommend finding a beast of your own.

Anonymous said...

Yeah and map quest isn't always right either....we were stuck in Louisiana and.....yeah it was wrong.....and dark....and midnight......no internet access to relook up the directions....not good

Anonymous said...

ok, i am going to have to tell the kids about how grandma went to the lake back in the 50's without internet, DVDs, CDs, electronic anything, carseats, seatbelts, airconditioning....no wonder I whinned all the way there about when we would get there!!
have fun, take lots of pictures, write down all the funny stuff they say and do. I'm so glad you two are techie nerds....

Valarie said...

You are living my dream. I can't count how many times I wished for any sort of internet connection on our road trip last week.

GiBee said...

Wow! What kind of technology do you have?!? I need me some!

Truth said...

Have a great "vacation." I'm so proud of you and Nate's nerdiness. That last hour and a half should fly by if you are online!

FLmom7 said...

Enjoy your trip! Technology is great, ain't it? My dh is a technogeek too, and our laptop is like American Express: never leave home without it;o)

melanie said...

have loads of fun! praying for sun!! ...and we did get a bunny...

PastormacsAnn said...

Pipe cleaners! I'll have to pick up some of those tomorrow - we're going on a 9-10 hr car trip on Monday with our 5 kids on Monday AM. I need ideas!

I'm jealous you surf the net while on the road. I'm just glad that we'll have wireless where we're going.

Have a fun trip..

PastormacsAnn said...

in case you didn't get it - we're going on Monday morning! :-)

We haven't even left yet and I'm already brain-fried. It's been a lllloooonnnnggggg week.