Thursday, August 24, 2006

Good bye Summer

My children love me more than they know. They love me so much that they wanted to spare me too much grief over our separation on their first days of school. So they concocted an intricate plan, taking into consideration my delicate psyche. They knew that if they made the last few days of summer too heavenly, I would mourn the loss of their presence. My children, in their loving hearts, made sure to fight and bicker and complain as much as possible that last week. I know they did it for me. They did it so it wouldn't be so hard for me to say good bye. Thanks kids.

As I sit here and munch on the last of today's first-day-of-school chocolate chip cookies, I'm saying good bye to summer.

Good bye bright colored annuals.


Good bye pool.

Good bye go-cart.

Good bye parades and the candy you brought us.

Good bye bullfrogs.

Good bye family baseball games.

Good bye barefoot afternoons.

Good bye homemade hammocks.

Good bye sunkissed shoulders.

Good bye butter drenched corn on the cob.

Good bye Little League.

Good bye rope swing.

Good bye summer.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY nice; makes me want to cry. You, my daughter, are articulate with pen and camera.

Sarah said...

I have found that the Lord is very gracious in making those transition times not-so-tough. So far, I was always REALLY ready for my children to start school -- even when they went to kindergarten!

When do we get to say, "Goodbye, HOT"????? 103* yesterday.

Anonymous said...

It seems you had a wonderful summer !

Big Mama said...

The pictures capture summer so perfectly! Great post!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! The pictures and captions were wonderful. I loved it.

Chilihead2 said...

Bittersweet, isn't it?

SuperMom said...

Those pictures are so beautiful!!! I love the one of all the kids lined up in their swimsuits with the one little boy screaming at someone.

Priceless :-)

Those kids of yours are too sweet.

Sara said...

Oh Heth. No one on earth could make me want 6 kids...except YOU. What wonderful photos. Great seeing you last night...I'll send pics! :)

Tina said...

beautiful Heather.... priceless times to never forget.

melanie said...

that was the sweetest post i've seen. i love camryn's hammock! that's one you need to post on the fridge and cherish.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I am soooooo feeling your pain. Beautiful memories though.

Anonymous said...

This post reminds me of a scrapbook that depicts so many great summer memories. Reading it makes me wish summer wouldn't end! The butter-soaked corn picture is still making my mouth water. :)

Perri said...

I love those pictures. They sum up a great summer in a nutshell. And they are much prettier than goodbyes to poision ivy, bee stings, bike wrecks, stitches and all the other parts of summer I won't miss.