Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Works For Me Wednesday Debut


I have decided to crash Shannon's Works-for-Me-Wednesday Party. Brace yourselves, this is going to be so informative you won't even know what to do with yourself. Knowledge will be spilling out of your ears.

My tip is..... My Garbage Disposal.

What works for me is shoving large amounts of food down my garbage disposal and flipping the switch. We had some trouble with the first disposal we had, it was old and cranky. It couldn't quite keep up with my "deposits". We had to call the plumber out a couple times and on the second visit, he replaced it with a brand spanking new grind-o-matic. Just a note- the disposal will always break when you have a counter full of dirty dishes and a sink full of yicky, stinky water. Very humbling.

Aaaaaanyway. We now have a high powered disposal and I sure do put it to use. There is almost nothing that I can't put down that thing. After every meal you can find me standing at the sink scraping large amounts of food into the sink. Fruit, vegetable, meat or dairy, I do not discriminate. I have even been known to put a half a cake down the drain. Which, now that I think about it, what was half a cake doing in my kitchen UNEATEN?! And why did I put it down the disposal instead of just getting a fork?

So get yourself a garbage disposal and go crazy. Just make sure to keep silverware, sponges and hands out of the sink when you flip the switch. I speak from experience. (The silverware and sponges, not the hand. I do have all ten fingers.)

23 comments:

Randi said...

Unfortunately we have a septic tank so we can't use a disposal. I fondly remember days of scraping food into the sink and watching it disappear!

Laurie said...

We have a septic too, but I did use my disposal for years until it locked up permanently. Since then I have used the farm animals to dispose of most things, and the burn barrell to get rid of the rest. But I do miss my disposal!

Anonymous said...

Even though we have a disposal, we only use it about 50% of the time and we are really really picky about what goes in there...only crunchy things, nothing starchy.

For example we sent down a huge pot of coagulated oatmeal. Our disoposal soooo didn't like that one. It was like we poured glue down the drain.

Maybe we could install a pig under our sink, like Fred Flinstone.

Unknown said...

Yes, I have had a septic tank for the last two years, after having a disposal my whole life. Add me to the list of those with disposal envy. Actually, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Amy said...

Oh, I wish I had a disposal- I am asking for one of these for Xmas!

Rebecca said...

Totally off topic: this is my first WFMW as well, and my first time here. *I'm Rebecca, btw, nice to meet you* Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I will probably be back just to bask in the green argyle! I love it!

Beck said...

I am glad to hear that you still have all your fingers! I'm in the septic tank club, so I'll envy your garbage disposal from afar!

Julie Carobini said...

Okay, so after moving in, the garbage disposal switch goes out. So we ask our electrician-neighbor (soooo handy) to check it out. He does and um, it. was. unplugged. Can anyone say "sheepish"?

Anonymous said...

I love my disposal too... and the only thing I absolutely will not put in there is potato skin peelings. Every time I've tried that, it's clogged and quit working. But for everything else, it's the best!

Amie said...

I L.O.V.E. my disposal! I put everything down there, too. I've been guilty of sticking things in there because I didn't feel like smelling it in the garbage. *blush*

Mama Duck said...

LOL I love my disposal too! It's my first WFMW too ;).

Anonymous said...

I love mine too. I do have to say that I bought a little mesh wire thing at WalMart to keep in there though so my silverware won't go down into it. Every once in awhile I just throw that little mesh wire thing in the dishwasher to clean it. Um, I don't even know if that made sense because I don't know the name of that little mesh wire thingy....

WarriorWife said...

Ha! Your fine print made me laugh. :) We're looking into getting a disposal at my house right now...

Kristen said...

I could not LIVE without my garbage disposal. Ours broke awhile back and needless to say, our kitchen stunk for days!! A great invention, I say!

melanie said...

you were right- it's one of my favorite things about the new house. but i have a huge fear about getting fingers down there, it does a number on popsicle sticks too!

Crystal said...

Garbage disposals are great! I love using mine instead of scraping all my food garbage into the trash to smell up the kitchen. :)

(potato skins clog mine,too)

Tina said...

okay so we will be in the septic tank club too in a few more months.. but according to the plumber, you can do anything with our new septic, so we're planning on a disposal!!!

Truth said...

LOL, I used to be this way too. Not sure what happened, but somewhere along the way my disposal decided enough was enough. I don't feed it anywhere near what I used to. And a 1/2 a cake? I think I would have saved that one for myself.

Anonymous said...

For a long time I was scared of garbage disposals, even in my high school years. When I was a little kid, I'm guessing 4 or 5, old enough to remember, I was sitting on the counter by the sink while mom was cleaning the sink or something. She was shoving peelings or something in there, or maybe searching for something that dropped down the drain. Anyway, I remember seeing the "light switch" and wondering, "what does that do?" and flipping it. Mom's hand was in there, but not far enough thank goodness. it really shook me up, mom too i think. It took me a LONG time to get used to the disposal.

Glass Half Full said...

I love our garbage disposal for the same reason. Shove it in and run the water!!!

I enjoyed visiting your blog.

Julie said...

My husband won't let me put potato peels down the disposal after getting it clogged twice. Last year when visiting my friend at her parents I was in total awe of their garbage disposal. He'd given it an upgrade and could put chicken bones down it. How cool is that?

Brenda said...

I never had one until we moved out here, but I can't use it too much because we have a septic too!! But I love it and I can't believe you put a half a cake down it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

my husband HATES it when i 'overuse' our disposal! But when he's not around, it works for me! (works overtime for me!)