
When Tyler was younger, we used to call him our little carnivore. He. Loved. Meat.
Fast forward.
Tyler is eleven. He still loves meat but after today he may not. Yesterday's Father's Day Festivities included grilled steak. Tyler took his first bite and immediately the hunk became wedged somewhere way deep down in his esophagus. It became the cork that wouldn't allow any other food to pass by. That was yesterday. We though we would wait it out, since he could breathe and everything, and see if sleeping would relax him enough release the meat.
Nope, it didn't. And that's why we aren't doctors.
This morning I called and took the poor starving kid into the clinic and our doctor referred him on to the surgeon at the hospital. Wow. Writing that out makes it sounds so serious. We spent most of the morning and into the early afternoon in the outpatient area at the hospital. Here are some words for you. Anesthesia. IV. Scope. Chicken Noodle Soup.
He did great and we now have some really interesting pics of the inside of his stomach. He thought the hospital bracelet was cool so he wore it the rest of the day, even to his baseball game. The poor kid hasn't stopped eating since we got home.
It's the new carnivorous weightloss program where you only eat steak. One bite.
15 comments:
Ouch! Poor kid.
Harry's worst fear is choking. It's funny to think I get stuff stuck in my esophagus all the time and STILL eat bacon, steak, and popcorn! We are born meat-eaters, just can't even beat it out of us. BRING IT ON! :)
That is craziness! Glad he's okay!!!
Yikes! That does sound scary. Glad to hear everything turned out ok and he is back to eating fine.
Oh, I'm so glad he's Ok!!
Mary
Oowww! Poor guy. That must have been horribly uncomfortable and scary. What an ordeal for a kid.
Glad he's feeling better.
Oh no! Poor little guy. I'm glad he's ok now, though.
So they had to surgically remove the bite of steak? How big was the bite?
Goslyn- We never saw the hunk of steak. The doctor said that when they put him under, he must have relaxed enough that it let go and passed right through. She could see where it had been, the esophagus was all irritated and even a little bleedy. It was the elusive steak that never took responsibility for it's crime.
I was GOING to say Holy Cow! and then I realized how inappropriate that might be. LOL. ;)
Hope he recovers and can get back to his carnivore ways.
sounds like a good plan
Somebody sign me up!!
How scary! I have a real phobia about my kids choking. You seemed to have handled it all in stride, whereas I would have been freaking out.
Way to go.
Wow! That's scary! I'm so glad he's ok!
i'm glad he's alright, poor tyler!
Poor Boy, I'm glad he's recovering!!!!
oh, poor guy! (loving your laid back parenting style. ha! 'you can't breathe...? take a nap!)
Post a Comment