Well, I just spent the last hour and a half cleaning up the coffee from the depths of my keyboard. Quick question and no counting. Just off the top of your head how many keys do you think are on your keyboard? I know it varies, but I know how many are on mine. I know because I manually scrubbed every single one of them with diaper wipes. I stink'n love diaper wipes, I use them for everything and I will be buying them when my kids are in college. I also used about 40 q-tips to clean in and around under all the keys. Yuck, it was pretty disgusting in there. Seriously.
But all to no avail. I plugged the newly cleaned, shiny keyboard back in, and it just beeped at me. So now I am using a back up that my computer-geek husband had stored away in his techno-bin. I don't like it already, the "home" key is right by the backspace, that gets a little annoying. But it does glow a pretty blue, so that's cool.
104. My old keyboard had 104 keys. This new one has 105 and 19 little buttons, I'm not sure what they do.......
6 comments:
No fun! I can't believe that you did all that and then it didn't work!
Since you have nothing to lose - try this advice from a geek-ly friend when I did the same thing on my work keyboard. I snuck it home and submerged it in lukewarm water, sloshing it around (unplugged, of course). Seems to me I used the kitchen sprayer as well. Then I shook out as much water as possible and used my blow dryer on it and shook it some more. After I let it dry overnight, I snuck it back into my office and reconnected it. It worked. Cool.
Yes!! I've heard of that too, Mahthellin! Someone told me they sprayed theirs down in the shower and let it air dry. I thought they were full of it at first, but it was the truth. And it worked.
I hate it when that happens! Reminds me of the time my dd dropped her cell phone in the toilet. It didn't work afterwards either. But we put it in the oven on something like 150 degrees (or lower) for 2-3 hours to completely dry it out. Worked great afterwards. I don't recommend it for a keyboard, though.
mahthellin-Seriously? Aren't there all kinds of circuits in there that will malfunction?
Worth a try, thanks for the tip!
Truth-You put the cell phone in the oven? How did that smell? :)
Uh-oh.
119 keys here. It's nice to know I can give them a bath and blow dry them if my coffee decides to leap out of the cup sometime.
Post a Comment