Almost one year ago, I wrote about how guilty I felt for receiving gobs and gobs of May baskets but not passing any out. The comments on that post flabbergasted me. It turns out that there are people in the world, the United States even, who have not ever had the pleasure of having popcorn and candy delivered to their doorstep. Some people have not heard of May Day.
Being the bloggy dork that I am, I put a reminder to myself in my PDA for April 29th 2008, "Write a post about May Day". I took it upon myself to be the voice of this overlooked holiday. Consider yourself reminded. On the first of May, gather your children around you. Craft yourselves some vessels using all of your construction paper, gluestick-craftiness. (0r use plastic cups) Fill them with popcorn and candy, then deliver them to the doorstep of a friend, ring the doorbell, and run away. Seriously. That's what it's all about. You may not receive any May baskets yourself the first year, but get the tradition going and you will eventually be flooded with more candy than you can consume. Actually, I'm not sure that there IS an amount so large that the Laundry Pile family would have leftovers the next day. Side note: I have heard tell of families who still have Halloween candy left uneaten in January or parade candy still sitting around come November. What is that all about? Weirdos.
So there you go. A May Day reminder to you all and to myself. I will eat my (the kids') candy without guilt this year because this year I will be a giver, not just a taker.
24 comments:
Glad you reminded me...I'm SO gonna do it this year!!
PS - "weirdos" HA!!!! Couldn't agree more :)
I've never heard of this!!!
And we're one of those families that have to throw away the remains of last year's Halloween candy to make room for this year's. Yep, we're definitely weirdos!
hmmmmm......we always have old candy around for months......I am a control freak when it comes to what the boys eat....I am sure it has to do with my own weight issues.....oh, well, now everyone knows I am not perfect!
Is it okay to give away that old candy in may baskets?!?!? JK!
Sounds fun.
OK, early Baby Boomers, are you out there? Don't you remember May baskets??? I remember that you were supposed to watch for depositor who was sneaking up to your door, and when he left it there, you were supposed to run and catch them and if it was the opposite sex, you were supposed to get a kiss for catching them.
Of course, that was like the late 50's and maybe the school yard "catch and kiss" games were spilling over into the "May basket lore", but that's what my memories of May day are. AND when I went to the college's lab school for kindergatern, there was also a Maypole dance. Pagan orgins, but festive.
Diana, what's your take?
PS. My favorite May basket contains M&Ms and popcorn and I'm off to Walmart this morning....
I've heard of May Day in the Communist sense of the tradition---you know, parades with goosestepping thugs and rows and rows of tanks. Not fun.
Your tradition is much more fun.
Hey, we started making our May Day baskets last night! Maybe it's a midwestern thing...we grew up doing the baskets because our parents (who were raised in IL)taughts us about it, but none of our friends knew about May Day at all. So we're passing that tradition on to our kids - make May Day baskets for people who have no idea what's going on.
I'M A WEIRDO!! We always have halloween candy left at v-day, v-day candy at easter and normally I throw away leftover easter candy when the 4th of July parade comes around.
Yay! thank you for the reminder!!
So is there some kind of note or card included? Something that says "Happy May Day"?
Thanks for the info... I had never heard of "may day" before. Sounds like fun. :)
Brittany
Karen Nope, we have never put any notes with our May baskets. But it wouldn't hurt to do so if you are passing them out to people who have no idea what is going on. Then they won't think you are a terrorist trying to poison them with popcorn.
YAY for pipe-cleaner handles on plastic dixie cups filled with popcorn and cheezcurls, pixie stix and jolly ranchers. Maybe a tootsie roll or two. Sooo fun!
We remembered this week!!! Whoo Hoo!!!
Okay...so Em and Shanda and Gramma have been making these the last couple of days.
check out this site. she's so creative!!
http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/
I have been around a looong time, and maybe what is put into a May basket is a regional thing? Because although I have made them filled with flowers since I was a wee child, I have never, ever given or received one with candy and/or popcorn.
So I am very intrigued.
Thank you for the reminder! I am going to do this for my neighbor.
Very nice tradition! We do that near Halloween with the "Phantom".
I remember Mayday from my youth. The baskets............
It is a day steeped in pagan traditions as well, as are most of our Christian traditions.
It is also a day the communists celebrate.
Tomorrow is also the National day of Prayer. While you are passing out the baskets, pray for our Nation!!
I need to make a memo for next year to have a supply for the baskets!!
MOMZIE, can't help you out. I just remember the leaving the candy and sneaking away. I'm not sure I ever did this as a kid, but I did with my kids, maybe I got it from you!!!
HETH--I was trying to figure out how I could send you a virtual May basket today, guarenteed not to have any calories or cavities!!!
Huh. I was unaware of this. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year.
You have just been tagged. I made katrina run up and deliver a may day basket today - she is officially Americanized. :)
I do believe I will have to do this next year. putting it in outlook now :)
Never heard of May Day! And we're the weirdos with Halloween candy left over...from 2006...seriously! Made me laugh to see your post.
Okay, I'm so sorry I didn't read this earlier...I have NEVER HEARD OF THIS but it is SO up my alley! Maybe next year...
I had never heard of this until Andrea was talking about them. It sounds like a nice way to brighten someones day!
Post a Comment