I have been reading a book that was passed on to me by a dear friend. I'm about 3/4 of the way done with it and it's called "It's Not Ok With Me" by Janine Maxwell. An couple excerpts from the back cover:
"This book is not for the faint of heart."
"...she found herself standing face to face with the AIDS pandemic and trying to understand what to do with 15 million orphans who are left in it's wake. Her story is brutally honest and will take you straight to the heart of the issue of Africa's great need."
I have read page after page of horrific stories. I have tried to understand the depth and the width of the need. I read of children digging in the trash for food and I still had no concept of what that really means.
Then a few days ago, God grabbed my heart in the middle of my ordinary daily life. I was driving back home from dropping the kids off at school. As I pulled up to a stoplight I noticed that I was right behind one of our city's garbage trucks. It had obviously just made a stop at Subway, there were numerous bags, cups, and napkins bearing the restaurant's logo. It had just crushed the trash in preparation for the next stop. I sat there at the light, eyes fixed and unmoving on a river of liquid trickling down the bed of that truck bed. I was frozen as I watched that river of slime. I was safe behind my windshield with my windows up so I didn't even catch a whiff of what had to be a putrid smell. My heart started to awaken and I pictured my children digging through that refuse looking for their next meal. I willed myself to let my mind continue on that train of thought, as difficult as it was. I pictured them standing ankle deep in that trickle of sludge, reaching in and digging around in it, searching for a piece of bread or a scrap of meat thrown away by someone at Subway. I was sick to my stomach.
Of course it didn't escape me that this would be considered upper class trash compared to what the homeless, parentless children of the world are digging though right this minute. Subway? Come on. The slum of Kipsongo doesn't have a Subway. What kinds of things are these children standing in while they look for a meal? What kinds of things are these children of God eating?
It's heartbreaking. It's unfathomable. My children have no idea what they have.
God, why? What would you have us do?
18 comments:
Great post. We truly take for granted everything God has blessed us with. He's been "showing" me how blessed I am to have healthy children. So many families I've heard of who are struggling with terminally sick little ones. Makes my heart just ache.
Great post, Heth. Stopped me in my tracks...
My children do the same thing. If only they knew .... We should be truly grateful! Thanks for the reminder!
Just this morning I was telling my son about how his dad grew up poor. His older married sister would never come home to visit without bringing a bag of groceries...I kind of made myself teary eyed...until I read your post...I guess poor is still relative.
"I willed myself to let my mind continue on that train of thought, as difficult as it was."
i'm speechless heth.
I know, it's so easy to forget those kids because we don't want to think about how awful their conditions are. It's scary to think that we could have been born over there. That could have been us. But it wasn't. Why?
Beauitful post. It is hard to escape those thoughts when your eyes are opened to it. My trips to Russia and Haiti have forever changed me. I have seen this type of poverty up close and it is enough to eat at your soul.
I too was given that book by the same dear friend. It rocks you to the core.
Thanks for the book recommendation.
One of our sons intake reports (from Africa) reported his favorite activity to be looking for food in the refuse dump for him and his brother.
My husband saw the report while he was in Africa picking them up, and I cried and cried when he told me over the phone.
Seeing the poverty in Ethiopia changed me in many ways, but their are still days when I am a material wretch. I hate it.
That post brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the reminder of how lucky we all are.
Just wondering if you have read Boomama's post from today? If not, you should... I think it answers your questions perfectly. It did for me, and I sponsored a child for the first time today. How could I not, when they have so little and I have so much?
Yes, it is HEART WRENCHING to think of all these children going without food!!
A few days ago on her blog author and speaker Lysa Terkeurst wrote about the orphanage that her sons lived in in Africa and the fact that they were running out of rice. She was appealing to the hearts of God's people to help! I think you can check it out and find out how to send money to buy rice- the only thing these children eat EVERY single day!!
lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com
So true... and so hard to understand sometimes. We are so BLESSED!
My boys are always hungry and always asking "what can we eat" OY! I doubt that's going to get any better. Ha!
Glad to catch up on your blog, talk to you later.
Brittany
I've been reading your blog for a while (Ohh, the guilty lurker who doesn't leave comments!)and I enjoy your writing immensely. You have a great way of connecting with your readers, drawing them in, and making them think. Wow! I could learn alot from you! I will be back often!
I think about this all the time. It's so sad to think how spoiled our kids are here compared to other places around the world.
We adopted our daughter from Hunan China in 2006. Sitting in a very elegant hotel room (only because it was the palce they welcomed Americans) holding our new daughter I looked out the window to a place world of despair and depravity I have never known.
My heart is still there and still left questioning "What are we to do Lord?"
Stephanie
Oh I know. This subject truly breaks my heart. Sometimes when my 6 yr old complains about what I make for dinner, I tell her about the little children across the world who have no food to eat or no clean water to drink. And she closes her mouth.
I wish this situation didn't exist. I would think it breaks God's heart as well.
I think about this when my son says, "I'm starving!"
You have never known what starving is buddy.
You should read "There's No Me Without You." by Melissa Faye Greene
Post a Comment