Monday, January 15, 2007

I Am From

Thank you everyone for all of your sweet birthday wishes. You know, I have been feeling a little reflective as I turn 30 this year. I did this "I Am From" writing exercise awhile back. Nothing is as precious as fond memories, so I wrote another as a birthday present to myself. The true gift was the smile that came to my face as I relived my childhood in my mind.

I Am From.
I am from worn hardwood floors, from Astro vans, and homemade granola stored in Tupperware containers.
I am from knee deep alfalfa wet with dew and the obsolete outhouse, covered in wild roses.
I am from a coveted asparagus patch growing in our ditch, from straight lines of sweet corn and the dust that billowed behind me as I ran barefoot down the rows. From a barrel full of oats and the delicious smell of my horse after he had been brushed down. From baby kittens born among the hay bales.
I am from cutting a Christmas tree from the woods and a deep love for dessert, from Keith and Chris.
I am from artists and homesteaders. From "What does the music tell you?" and "It's time for sleepy time".
I am from Methodist and Lutheran church pews. From baptisms in the river and Dad silently reading his bible over a bowl of cereal.
I am from a bitter cold January morning the day I entered the world, from the frequently requested candy covered train cake, from cookbooks with recipes marked with a star to be made again.
I am from the mischievous pony who hijacked it's small riders and took them to the lowest tree branch to be clotheslined. From the family baseball games behind the shed, bases one through three being nothing more than the trunks of apple and plum trees. From terrifying sledrides down the icy driveway and from miniature dachshunds.
I am from black and white photos of my stunning Grandmothers with their tiny waists. From senior portraits hung proudly on the dining room wall and yellowed pictures of toothless kindergarteners lining the staircase.
If you would like to write an I Am From of your own, you can find the form here.

12 comments:

Truth said...

Oh Heather, that was so much fun to walk through where you were from. I've always loved the "I am from" format, but never actually gotten around to doing it myself. You have inspired me again.

Anonymous said...

childhood memories.... they are so tender. and your kids will be from backyard summer games, kick the can, and perfect lawns... :)

thanks for your prayers this morning... it means a lot, both you and Chris. truly.

Anonymous said...

your blog either makes me laugh a good old belly laugh or get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes...love it

Anonymous said...

Heather,
This is so fun! I can just see it all.
What a beautiful heritage you have and will be able to give to your children.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. Beautiful way to get to know you better.

I did the I Am From poem back last summer. It was a lot of fun..

Anonymous said...

This post was beautiful and so wonderfully written. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

I can picture it perfectly in my mind. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

OK, this was just beautiful. I actually got a little misty there for a minute. What a happy childhood you apparently had! And I have the same memories of my parents reading the Bible AND the Methodist upbringing. (I love the hymns, still.)

Anonymous said...

I love your writting skills sis
You inspire me.

melanie said...

heth, some how i missed this one, but it has to be one of my favoite posts of yours! you inspire me as well...

Mella said...

This is beautifully done

owlhaven said...

Hey, my kids are from Astro vans! (We've had two now!)

This was great- thanks for sharing!!

Mary