Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Organized? Me?

Over yonder at the Big Yellow House, Chris is discussing organization and big families. Carmen, the Mom to the Screaming Masses also wrote about this. It got me to thinking about how organized/disorganized we are around here. We have some victories and some clutter, and we can always use more coat hooks.

A very, very, very organized real life friend of mine helped me out with my paper messes about a year ago. She set me up with a system that I love. We have a three ring binder with a section in it for each person in the family. When papers come home and they can't be thrown, they get three-ring punched and filed under who ever's name that paper applies to. Examples: lunch menus, spelling lists, nursery schedules, permission slips. You know, all the semi-important papers that seems to get lost in a pile when you need them most.

Another success is my In-Box. I bought a little shallow wire basket that sits on the counter and when the kids come home from school and empty their backpacks, they put all the papers right into that basket. It keeps them safe until I go through it later. Then I start in with the throwing, the three ring punching, and I save special art work or interesting stories. Those go in an accordion type folder.

Another system that is working for us right now is socks. FINALLY! You don't know how many times I have had to sit down for a room consuming one hour sock sort with my dear friend Dr. Phil. If only he actually helped sort socks! Now, I pair them up as they come out of the dryer and get them right into each person's basket. All loners are tossed into one of those rollie drawer organizer thingies with a drawer for boys socks, girls socks and parent socks. Each time I toss loners in, I check to see if the match is already in there. I think there are some sad old "widowed" socks in there who will never see their mate again.

A recent attempt at organization that turned into a big laugh is my new laundry sorter. I bought one of these attempting to replace the tattered old plastic hampers that are used for climbing on and rolling down the stairs. I only paid about fifteen bucks at Walmart for this new thing, and mine is a little different. Same type of thing though, it's canvas with three sections. Ok, the box said it holds six loads at once. Uuum, they must be doing laundry on some other planet because about four pairs of jeans is all that fits in each section. Is two pairs of jeans a load of laundry? Well, then I am WAAAY over loading my poor washer. Just a side note, one section DOES hold a four year old boy. It's a great place to hide during a game of hide-and-go-seek. Anyway, I laughed when I got the thing assembled. Six loads...grumble grumble.

So that is a glimpse into a couple of my attempts at organization. I'm off to organize myself some lunch.

12 comments:

owlhaven said...

Interesting! I wrote some ideas down too...
Mary

Natalie Joy said...

I, too use the 3 ring binder and it works great.

I also have a laundry sorter made of plastic tubing and mesh bags that I love. It works great for me and holds one load of laundry in each section. When the whites are full, I do a load. When the darks are full, I do a load, etc. Hope you find on that works for you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent ideas. I've always been skeptical of those laundry sorters, the seemed a little on the little side. Did you say in one post that you live in a 900 square foot house? If so, I'm amazed, astounded and in awe that you keep it organized with 8 people living there together.

Anonymous said...

I think I need your friend.

Melanie said...

I like your paper organizing system! I may just have to use it! Usually the ones I have to keep end up in piles (or scattered) all over my kitchen counter, and I hate that! Thanks for sharing!

Truth said...

LOL, I love the thought that your laundry sorter holds a 4 year old boy. Socks, sigh. I keep one laundry basket for nothing but socks. Now that my kids are older, they match their own. The more organized ones a pair a night, the others grab 2 socks as they are getting dressed. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Chilihead2 said...

Excellent pointers, Heth. I am in desperate need of a new organizational lifestyle. sigh.

Anonymous said...

When you choose your next laundry sorter be sure and take that SWEET four-year-old with you so he can approve it for hide and seek games. Thanks for being the kind of organized mommy that allows him to hide in the hampers. You have your priorities straight.
Mom

Tina said...

i have a laundry sorter too... and a sock drawer.
Unfortunately, I don't sort them every time... sigh...

Melanie said...

Just thought I'd mention that you are so inspiring that when I went grocery shopping today, I bought some things so that I can implement that paper sorting system you have. Thanks again for the great ideas!

Amie said...

That paper idea is awesome! I don't sort laundry until I have about 10 loads; then I do it all at once. Harry doesn't understand "sort", so even if I kept it sorted ..... it wouldn't stay that way.

And I have your sock problem solved. HAPPY SOCKS! You can't buy white socks anymore, though. They have to be all printed - I know a great priced store for 'em! It takes 5 minutes to match socks, cause they all look completely different - it's great! I have all different socks, and Harry has all grey socks. 30 pair of the same dull socks - bonus for me, though! I offer to lend him some of my pretty socks sometimes to make his feet feel happy. But alas, he always declines.

Craft night is in 3 1/2 hours - are you ready?!

mommy to six J's said...

I can see how it appears bigger in the add.That has happened to me with book shelfs a total waste of time.have a great weekend char