This morning's run was an 11 miler and I was solo. My training partner, Kelsey, is out of town and I was on my own. Some observations from the road:
- I love my Ipod. I don't know what I am going to do on race day without it. The race rules say no tunes. Waaaah. Nothing picks you up like the right song at the right time. Today, I smiled when I listened to "Gary Come Home" off of the Spongebob album. (don't ask). There were a couple other more normal songs that made me pick up my feet a little faster.
- Rain feels good. It rained a little bit around mile 9. Washed all the salt right off.
- My knees complain after about 8 miles. Not a lot, just a little. I started taking glucosamine this week and I'm hoping it kicks in soon. I felt a little bit like an old lady, standing in the "joint health" section of Walmart, looking for the stuff. Whatever.
- Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are a good post run fuel. I'm just sayin.
22 comments:
Wow you truly are my hero...20 kids and a marathon, oh wait all 20 of them were not yours....;-) you will be awesome! (i may be just a few years--2--older than you but I take glucosamine too and it works wonders!!!!) girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!
oh, and forgot to add, it made my day that a shoe maven like you liked MY shoes yipee!! How can you go wrong with polka dots?
Way to go Heth!~ I'm with you, the music makes a huge difference. Last week when I got to the gym, my batteries were dead. I went home. (hangs her head in shame) but my workouts seem hard and long without the music.
wow! go! go! go! go!
No Music?!? That's just cruel. CRUEL!
I am proud of you beyond words...and I am seriously going to come cheer you on!!...(and sing a little sponge bob as you pass by)
wow!
Oh my gosh... i hate running... you are awesome!
brittany
I admire anyone who sweats voluntarily. Great job!!
OMG! 11 miles!! You are the woman!! I am most happy when I can make myself walk a whole mile!! LOL!! Good luck on the big race!
you tell us what you need to hear at what point and we will be there with a boom box blaring!!!!!love the comittment......you go girl.....yb & jb
yippee! way to go!! you are amazing!!
No ipod on race day? Ouch. Seriously. The right song, at the right time is such a life saver on those loooooong runs.
You'll have to post if the glucosamine works. I've wondered, but never tried it.
WTG, you amazing bit o' supahstar, you.
I love the Gary, Come Home song. Crack. Me. UP.
You rock.
I'm in awe.
I'm also pretty sure now that you are THE SuperMom.
Woohoo! This is where my special talent or whatever and Nate's comes in real handy. Start listening to your running faves over and over and over till you hear them in your sleep. Then you won't need your ipod. Except for me, I keep hearing the "Everywhere I Go" song Moose sings on Noggin. So very annoying. I should send you a link so you can experience it too.
I wish you the best. Sounds like you are doing well so far.
Way to go! I've only ever done a half marathon, but I did do several 11 and 12 mile runs alone. It definitely requires a lot of commitment. My runs were so much better with my running partners. Now that I've moved and don't have running partners it is harder to do the longer runs.
I've just starting conditioning this week for a half marathon-my first ever. I figure if you have twice as many kids and can squeeze in the running I can too! Thanks for the inspiration!
You rock....I'm so totally proud of you mama. Might I suggest a green smoothie with spirulina and spinach for an after-run refuel instead of the Reeses? I'm just sayin. ha :)
Impressive!
The Coach takes glucosamine and it's great! He's the marathoner around our house.
However, I am working on a 5K. Except that sounds really pitiful. Pitiful.
WHEN do you have the time to run? I have eight kids and it's HARD to get everyone settled and get out there!
Come do the OKC Memorial Marathon sometime! We'd love to have you!
You go girl! 27+ days down, many more good ones to come. Oh, won't that finish line on October be a beautiful sight? I'll be glad when we're back together. I struggled with the 12 miler alone, but I DID IT! Keep up the great work. :)
Post a Comment