Monday, February 04, 2008

Reactions

Because I'm too lazy to type it out, or even cut and paste, here is the recipe for the soup. Straight off of the Better Homes and Gardens website. I used sirloin steak instead of the turkey.

Because I can.

So here is the report from my not-very-daring family.


Tyler:



Thrilled, as you can see. Offered to eat bread and water instead. Denied.

Noelle:



Out of character, she balked. To her credit, she did come back later and eat it to get dessert. Because we bribe like that.


Camryn:



Mostly she just crinkled her nose at it.


Caedmon:





Gobbled it down like it was his favorite ice cream. Was declared the winner by Mom and Dad and enjoyed a cup of hot cocoa loaded with marshmallows. *Ding*


Jack:

Somehow I didn't get a photo. He ate the meat out of it and called it quits. No surprise there. But then again, he's used to holding out until breakfast. He's got a stomach of steel and the will to go along with it.

Gemma:




It may appear that she is eating it, but notice the empty spoon. Faking eating doesn't cut it.

So basically, I'm the only one who loved it. Nate was "eh". He could have done without the diced tomatoes. He's a tomato hater. It doesn't help that I forgot to stir in the spinach and top it with cheese. Can you believe I forgot the secret weapon? What was I thinking? If only I would have added the cheese, then I'm SURE they would have eaten it. *cough*


28 comments:

Unknown said...

That is too funny - I like the picture of the "faker" - nice try. Looks delicious, I certainly would have eaten it!

Anonymous said...

Hoooray, leftovers!! Merv and I will be over. She wants a bowl for a bedtime snack.

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heth, it is so nice to see someone else with the dinner is dinner attitude. I was beginning to feel like the only non-short-order-cook out there. I don't think it's a coincidence that they both eat a pretty wide variety of foods, chunks of tomatoes and large pieces of onion being understandable objections, they just pick around and I don't fuss.

Rachel Marie said...

Great effort! Wish I could have some of the leftovers!

Mrs. Troop said...

OK. I'm laughing WITH you - too funny!
I don't even try pieces of tomato and onion - you are brave.
Looks good to me, though!

His Girl said...

I couldn't be happier that you posted this. yesterday I thought... "man! i have failed as a parent! If i tried to serve that at my house I would be tied up and left in the backyard."

it's good to know that mine aren't the only nose crinklers!

weloveyellow said...

I love the looks of disgust on the kids' faces. I think I might give that recipe a go sometime soon; it sounds pretty good :)

Lizzie M. said...

The reactions are priceless.

Jenni said...

Um, yeah.

I don't think I would have eaten it either. ;o)

What's the opposite of adventurous? Whatever it is, it's us.

Unknown said...

Cheese fixes all, come on all of us mamas know that.
I don't know I think it would have been a success here, maybe we shall have to try it out.
Thanks for the report, and the pics, classics!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love kids. They don't know the good stuff their fussing about. Unfortunately I can totally relate - the husband wonders sometimes why I even try to venture outside the "norm". (Because sometimes mom's need to cook something different :)

Judy said...

Hey! YUM! I've tagged you for a meme!

Anonymous said...

This is so funny. I am dying laughing.

Unknown said...

Oh, it looks so yummy! I love unique combinations of ingredients. Send some over, leftovers are fine. :)

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Yum! It looks and sounds delicious!

I love the picture of Caedmon. Just as your mom described.

Unknown said...

POp by the Cafe, I have something for you :)
The Mama Bear

Ann said...

I love it! My favorite part was seeing it all over Caedmon's hands. Little chipmunk buddy. I really really thought Nate would just pick out the tomatoes and love the rest of it.

Truth said...

Oh, I love the little faces trying a new dish. Brings back great memories, lol. I'm going to try this one. I hope I have better luck with my family. I have a feeling, though, Michael will love it.

Ann said...

Pblblblblb I was wrong! No soup on Caedmon's hands! I zoomed in on the picture. Bah sorry about that. I thought maybe he really dug into it.

Heth said...

Ann He doesn't have it on his hands because I took that photo as he was eating his first few bites. Gotta give him time to dig in. Actually, he has Kool-aid on his hands. Orange Kool-aid.

Tina said...

I'm thinking it looks great! And for the record, I'm always testing new soups out on my family.... who both love and hate it.

Homegrown Tribe said...

Oh my that is hilarious! I love all of their faces.

Brittany

Anonymous said...

This is funny! I love all the different reactions!

PJ said...

Yep!! Ya fergot the cheese!! That would have brought smiles. (LOVE the expressions!! Great pics)

gina said...

That is really funny to me. It is like a mirror was held up to the dinner table in my house. And, the soup looks really good to me, too. Glad that at least YOU enjoyed it.

Lovely Rita said...

Haven't visited in awhile. Great post. Had a moment tonight with my son (very picky) and my daughter(hardly picky) and dinner. Out-of-character son said (quite enthusiastically), "Yummy, mom. I love this dinner!" I still haven't picked my jaw off the ground.

Truth said...

I had to come back and thank-you for sharing the recipe. It was a hit at my house. As I suspected, Michael loved it. I showed him the pics of your kids trying it. He laughed and said he could understand kids not liking it, but Nate? He was surprised by that.

Can you tell my man is easy to please? Thanks again.