This has been a timely opportunity to talk to my kids about prayer and to teach them what it is all about. On Shannon's recommendation, we bought The Jesus Storybook Bible as a Christmas gift for one of our kids this year. It is fantastic. I have never read anything like it and it really simplifies the Word of God so that a child can understand the greater picture. At the same time, it is profound and has spoken to my own heart over and over again as I have read it to my kids. I was especially touched by the Lord's prayer. I have said the Lord's prayer countless times and sometimes the words "hallowed" and "trespass" can be hard concepts to grasp. I don't know about you but that's not the kind of vocabulary we use around our house on a daily basis. I struggled with explaining those concepts to my kids in a way they could understand. Then I read it in this bible. I hope it blesses you like it has blessed me.
"You see, God just can't wait to give you all that you need. So you don't need to use long words or special words. You don't have to use a special voice. You just have to talk. So when you pray, pray in your normal voice, just like when you're talking to someone you love very much. Like this...
Hello Daddy!
We want to know you.
And be close to you.
Please show us how.
Make everything in the world right again.
And in our hearts , too.
Do what is best- just like you do in heaven,
And please do it down here, too.
Please give us everything we need today.
Forgive us for doing wrong, for hurting you.
Forgive us just as we forgive other people
when they hurt us.
Rescue us! We need you.
We don't want to keep running away
and hiding from you.
Keep us safe from our enemies.
You're strong, God.
You can do whatever you want.
You are in charge.
Now and forever and for always!
We think you are great!
Amen!
Yes we do!"
We want to know you.
And be close to you.
Please show us how.
Make everything in the world right again.
And in our hearts , too.
Do what is best- just like you do in heaven,
And please do it down here, too.
Please give us everything we need today.
Forgive us for doing wrong, for hurting you.
Forgive us just as we forgive other people
when they hurt us.
Rescue us! We need you.
We don't want to keep running away
and hiding from you.
Keep us safe from our enemies.
You're strong, God.
You can do whatever you want.
You are in charge.
Now and forever and for always!
We think you are great!
Amen!
Yes we do!"
12 comments:
Wow! Where can we get this Bible Story Book? Thats great!
Ok I clicked the link and found out where to get the Book. Thanks.
We have that Bible, too. Don't you just LOVE it??? I think I love it more than my daughter!
Happy mommy, we got ours at Books-a-Million!
We have it too! Got it for Easter last year, actually---thanks to Shannon's recommendation.
The kids call it "Bea's Bible" and they call themselves the Bible Babies when they read it.
I love anything that brings it down to my level :)
Good stuff Maynard! (diana are you reading???)
You know, it wouldn't hurt for all us "mature" people to get one and read it and become like a little child again. Make room for me on the couch, I'm comin' over!
Beautiful! We were given this as a Christmas gift...it is really amazing!
Good stuff Momzie! Yes I'm reading!!
I used to read scripture books to my kids, what precious memories that brings. They are all too big for my lap now. Ladies enjoy it while they're young!!
methinks I need to get a copy...
that was so sweetly and perfectly put.
I love it. I ordered this Bible off Amazon, but I forgot to change the shipping address, so my friend Tracey received it haha! But she's sending it to me. I can't wait to start reading it with my kids.
That is so exciting! And I love when my church takes time together to concentrate on prayer/fasting. God moves in such a way that lives are changed forever.
Oh, so good....for kids and adults alike!
Post a Comment