Thursday, February 14, 2008

Día de los Enamorados Feliz

(I sure hope that title mean "Happy Valentine's Day". I'm trusting my online translation tool.)


Love.

Love is shiny and new and fun for a little while. Then it is tested by the grindstone of the day after day. Repetitiveness. Daily life. How does love hold up on the boring old weekdays?

My love is being tested these last few weeks. The love that was so fresh and funny at first has become repetitive. It's always around, always there.

No, not Nate.

The movie Nacho Libre is stuck in my van's DVD player.

We have been watching it over, and over, and over, and over. The "Lord's cheeps", the eagle powers, the blue bike cart thingy, none of it has lost it's sparkle. It is standing up to the test. In fact it is growing on me a little more every day. Listening to Nacho while ordering at the fast food drive-thru, while picking the children up from school, and while taking the recycling in only makes those tasks more bearable. My love is spilling over and I want to share some of my favorite quotes with you.

"My life is good! Really good! I get to wake up every morning, at 5AM, and make some soup! It's the best. I love it. I get to lay in a bed, all by myself, all of my life! That's fantastic!"

"Precious Father, why have you given me this desire to wrestle and then made me such a stinky warrior?"

"...they might have the appearance of riches, but beneath the clothes, we find a man... and beneath the man we find... his... nucleus."


Since it's Valentine's Day, I take a love lesson from the man who wears stretchy pants in his room. I'll say goodbye the same way he does when he signs a love letter to a nun. A nun who's favorite color is light tan.





"Hug hug, kiss kiss, hug hug, big kiss, little hug, kiss kiss, little kiss."

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

The image of you driving around with "Nacho Libre" on perma-play is priceless.

It's a deep movie. Really. We love it here.

When I saw it in the theater, I almost cried at the end. It was so sweet---all the orphans on the bus. Sigh.

His Girl said...

I hate all the orphans in the whole worl.

come again?


bahahaha!

I tried to hate nacho, but i have to admit, I love him too. these days there are much worse movies to listen to over and over!

Anonymous said...

My fav..."they think I don't know a butt load of crap about the gospel...but I do" aahhhh! Cracks me up every time. I love to use it on Ben whenever he gets all "theological" which, for pastors, seems to be annoyingly often! :)

The RockStar said...

Nacho Libre is #1
His stretchy pants is #1
His wrestling skillz is #1
This movie is #1

Anonymous said...

.... "When the fantasy had ended.. and all the children are gone... something good inside me... helps me to carry on.... I ate some bugs.. I ate some grass... I used my hand... to wipe my tears...
Encarnacion....
Encarnaaaaccciion...

doodleeedooodeleee...

BEST SONG IN A MOVIE EVER

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Love the spanish!
Love this post!
Love the movie!
Love the comments so far!

Heth said...

Wow! You guys really came through for me on the quotes. You are making me want to go sit out in the van in my driveway and watch it just one more time. Since I can't bring it in and watch it in the living room. But wait, it's 10 degrees out there.

Courtney, I just feel the need to continue where you left off, sing with me now ..."to kiss your mouth, I break my vows. No, no, no, no, no, no way Jose, unless you want to. Then we can break our vows together......"

And also: "Ok. Orphans! Listen to Ignacio. I know it is fun to wrestle. A nice pile drive to the face... or a punch to the face... but you cannot do it. Because, it is in the Bible not to wrestle your neighbor."

trash said...

Are nuns allowed to get love letters?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

OK...I've never seen this one. So I take it I should.

Heth said...

Linda Yeah, you need to get this movie. Make sure to watch it twice, if not three times. It just gets better every time. The first time I watched it I was not impressed, and look at the relationship I have with Nacho now. It's all Nacho, all the time.

Tina said...

watch it over and over and over. and memorize the quotes.

they are hilarious.

when we watched it with Julia, she said in broken english "I don't get it.... are they making fun of the church?"

we found that hysterical and broke down laughing again.

She still didn't get it. I'm not sure I did either, but it was funny.

weloveyellow said...

so funny. we love nacho, too.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for your great family/blog. I've been folowing it for a while! I'm a spanish girl and this is the first time I post a comment. The right translation is:
"Feliz día de los enamorados".

Have a nice day :)

Carla

Sabrina said...

That movie cracks me up! I couldn't have it constantly playin in my van though! LOL

Lizzie M. said...

Alright, I'm going to have to watch this movie!

Judy said...

HOW FUNNY! The boys and I just chanted "hug hug, kiss kiss, little hug, big kiss..etc. etc." All the way out of HY VEE the other day! Tis the season for Nacho! LOL

Judy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJ said...

Okay. Where did I miss "Nacho Libre" I'm feeling very left out. I'm going to get the movie and hope it stick in my DVD play...it just sounds like so much fun.

Muy divertido!!! (A lot of fun)

Fleeting_Thoughts said...

I am singing at the Party... I am singing, it's my turn to sing at the party... everybody is dancing happy... Party...

The audio clips are available.

Nacho: "How did you find me here? "
Esqueleto: "I saw you from the village." (He points to the village about fifty yards away.)

Sweet Movie!!!

Truth said...

I am surprised, I've never seen this and I can't believe my kids haven't either. Almost wish I had a dvd player in my car.

Does the Wii work in the car???

Ann said...

Hahahahaha now I get it! When you were telling me about your kindergartener at school and said to him "It is in the Bible not to wrestle your neighbor" I was at a loss, I didn't get it. I was all "Nuh uh, Heth..." Now, I get it!

votemom said...

ummm, i never saw it either. it sounds like napoleon and the more you watch it the funnier it is (?)

is it bad for one's favorite color to be tan? (cuz mine is!)

Heth said...

Carla Thanks. I knew I couldn't trust an online translator. The extent of my Spanish is "Hola." and "Si".