Did you ever notice how quickly memories fade? Or maybe they don't for everyone, maybe it's just me. I'm not a big rememberer. Nate remembers so many stories and details and adventures about growing up. He and his sister and his parents can sit for hours and reminisce about this and that and remember the time..... It's not that I had a traumatic childhood that I am repressing or anything. Completely the opposite. I grew up in am amazing family, we had so many fun times. But I'm kind of sad that my brain won't remember the little details of daily life.
I know we had lemon lime wallpaper in the kitchen of our first house because it was there behind me in a yellowed photograph of preschooler me stirring a pot on the stove. I kind of remember the floor plan of that house, but you would think I would remember more since I was in third grade or so when we moved. For me it takes a photograph to stir up the memories. Last night, Camryn was begging to finish a school project. She is the star student next week so we needed to do the classic " all about her". She needed photos and I kept putting it off because 1. She kept asking at the most inopportune times and 2. I hate taking pictures out of the albums, they never seem to get back in there. Finally I gave in and we sat on the bed together and flipped through pages of years gone by. I got all sentimental because I had forgotten so many things. I had forgotten how delightful Caedmon was when he was 2 years old, how me made us laugh and laugh when he wiggled he rear end and declared "my butt's singing." I had forgotten how long Tyler's hair was when he was in 2nd grade and how his teacher lovingly teased him about it. I had forgotten about the time that Noelle took a shower with her kitten, Striped. That wet, scrawny cat looked so pathetic cowering in the corner of the shower, as far away from the water as possible. I had forgotten about Jack's raggety green snow suit that I had tried to sew all by myself, and about the chipmunk that the kids fed out of an upside down Frisbee on a camping trip. I had forgotten about the time we painted pumpkins. Oh my goodness, it was pure joy to look through those albums and to stir up memories that had been tucked away somewhere in the back of my mind.
So all of that to say, I want to remember the little things, the details of my kids' daily lives. I want to remember more than what is in the photo albums, I want to remember the mannerisms and funny words that they outgrow way too quickly, the things that I don't take pictures of. And because I want to remember them by writing them down here, you all have to read about them too. Sorry, but it's my blog.
This week I want to remember Gemma's newly learned shoulder shrug. Her little shoulders, bouncing up and down as she silently answers "I don't know" with a little grin. I want to remember the pathertic little pony tail she wears in an attempt by her mother to make her hair look a little more girlie and a little less like a toddler mullet. I want to remember how she answers "No" to every question, even when she means yes. You can only tell the difference by the inflection in her voice. I want to remember that when I take her out of her crib in the morning she rubs my cheek with one hand while she sucks her thumb.
I want to remember how Noelle and Camryn sleep together in the top bunk almost every night. Even though I hate it, I want to remember how they toss their backpacks on the bench by the front door and throw their coats on top, disregarding the row of hooks right in front of them.
I want to remember Tyler's never ending showers. How he uses up all the hot water single handedly, because I'm hoping he outgrows that one and that soon it will be nothing more than a memory. I want to remember his laugh while it's still the laugh of a boy, not the crack of an awkward voice change that's just around the corner. I want to remember how he waits just inside the front door for the bus every morning, peeking through the glass to see it come down the street. How he runs across the street to the bus stop in the freezing snow with no hat or mittens and an unzipped coat.
I want to remember the inquiring mind of a five year old, who has so many questions about everything. I want to remember the sparkle in Caedmon's eye when he grins his baby toothed grin. He and Jack carry their little stuffed Curious George's all around the house and imagine all sorts of curious scenarios, some involving dinosaurs, some involving stormtroopers. I want to remember how we had to keep everything even remotely sweet on the very top shelf of the pantry as to prevent Jack from cleaning us out of desserts and eating sugar right out of the bowl. I want to remember how he flew under the radar most nights during supper, eating only the least possible amount of his food and then held out until breakfast and ate two or three bowls of his favorite cereal.
I want to forget the drips on the toilet seat and the globs of toothpaste in the sink.
16 comments:
This was really sweet. Thanks for sharing this and to remind me to savor these little moments!
So sweet.
You probably weren't looking for suggestions, but I have a friend who keeps a card file with notecards on her kitchen counter. When one of her kids does or says something she wants to remember she writes it on a card and files it. Quick n' easy.
I've often thought that I was really savoring the time with my young kids and then realize there is so much that I already don't remember. It's so sad.
Your blog will be a GREAT way to look back and "remember" all of those things you want to remember.
I keep a journal in my kitchen drawer (I'm always in my kitchen, and if I wander, I'm always back within a few minutes) and I write down a lot of the silly sayings and such so that I can remember them (for scrapbooking mainly) ...
Your post was sooo sweet ... and got me thinking really ... of all the things I want to remember!
Thanks for the wonderful night ahead of me, remenicing. (sp?)
Blog away, it is fun to read.
And before we know it, these little munchkins of ours will be all grown up!
Loved this post, Heth! I miss you guys so much!!
i always end your blog with, this was my favorite post of heth's ever, and i think this one is. i love the pictures you painted, last night i wanted to just sit back and video tape our meal time. the kid's converstation. at one point oli climbed under the table and we didn't realize it until mysteriously a red lazer was targeted on bel. i love it, the tantrums, the marker covered comforter, the endless mismatched sock pile, gemma's shrug, tyler's laugh, it's what it's all about.
Excellent! Here is the heart of motherhood- being in awe and wonder and delighting in the children the Lord blesses you with.
I think Melanie needs to frame the comforter with the marker on it and hang it up like people do old quilts.
Thanks for getting me to stop and think about all of the little things my kids do too. It was very sweet. You do remember, it may take the pictures to help you along, but you remember. And something tells me you'll never forget.
So sweet...sigh. I will look at the pile of coats, hats, backpacks, lunch sacks a little differently when the kids come home from school today.
I LOL@the mental picture of the poor kitten in the shower (and how it probably seemed like a fun idea to shower with a kitten).
I loved this too Heather! I want to do this more on my blog. Remember those things so easily forgotten, yet bring our hearts so much joy.
I linked to you today in a post. I hope you don't mind. I couldn't resist! Your mom blessed me so much with her words.
Thanks for the sweet memories. I am sitting here in tears as I listen to them. It stirs memories of my own kids and I wonder what things I've already forgotten. I'm actually sitting in a totally empty house-what a strange feeling from just a few short years ago. (Okay, just a few hours ago.) I tried to enjoy the silence, but it is deafening after reading your post.
Oh, Heth, what vivid, beautiful pictures you have painted in my mind. I've also added my own music in my head to go along with the mental images! You hit the head on the nail it's the little things that make memories but often we don't realize that memories are even made. Many people miss and aren't able to enjoy life's little moments.
I've started a scrapbook from the day we got married, and it's update each year. When I make the 6-10 pages each year, it doesn't seem incredibly exciting. I put in pictures of trips we've taken, our cars, house projects, family gatherings, new milestones (like Sturgis Falls), our home, and weddings of family and friends. But I know in 50 years, it will be precious to visit those day-to-day memories. In fact, I like looking back on year one and two already!
Thanks for another heart-warming post. You are a gift woman.
I'm so glad you shared these snapshots. I've been thinking lately about all the whining that goes on the the mommy-blog world (and you know I do my fair share of it too). Your post is a great reminder of how sometimes we can focus on the things that are poignant and beautiful and remarkable about our lives -- the things that make me feel so blessed to be a mother. Thank you!
Beautiful thoughts. Thanks!!
cherish those times.... hold on to them. you will forget some things... but the important ones will always be with you. amazing isn't it?
wonderful post, heth. your family is so great, thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment