Saturday, February 17, 2007

Crossing the Laundry Line

You know, sometimes I get a little frustrated when I spend 50% of my laundering time turning clothes right side out, checking pockets, and inspecting whether or not the items really are dirty. Most of that doesn't bother me all that much but today the kids took it too far when I found, in the dirty clothes basket, a sweater still on the hanger. I think we need to revisit the lesson on what it means to "clean your room."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

But of course the biggest problem is that if you discover that something isn't actually dirty, as in hasn't been worn yet, but it's been sitting in the dirty clothes pile for a day (or two or three), by that point it's starting to smell not-so-fresh so you can't put it back in thd drawer! I hate that.

Christy said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. I want a laundry alarm system-a buzzer goes off every time clean clothes are piled in the hamper or on the floor.

Mom said...

I have rules:

If you don't turn your clothes right side out, they end up in your basket the same way.

If you don't put your laundry in the hamper it doesn't get washed.

Simple. I am in awe of a friend of mine who simply folded up her husband's clothes that he had tossed on the bedroom floor (including the underwear) and put it all right back in his dresser.

Train up a husband in the way he should go....after all, they're like adults, aren't they?

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Oh my...a hanger? Good thing you aren't Mommy Dearest! No.More.Wire.Hangers!

Truth said...

Whenever this happens at my house, I ask myself something like, "do they think I'm not going to notice?" But then I remember that the problem is they DON'T think before doing something like that. If they did, they wouldn't do it.

Sending a big hug!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh....Aidan does this *all the time* with her clothes. Things she hasn't worn in months end up in her hamper. When she was younger I realized half the laundry I did from her hamper were doll clothes.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHHA, sorry but the sweater with a hanger cracks me up. I remember my mom telling us about things like that.....

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh!! My kids are all really good at keeping their clothes right side out, well, except my 7 year old, who is getting worse as she gets older. She will put any item of clothing in the laundry if it means not having to put it away!!

Kiki said...

I remember cleaning my room and dumping everything down the laundry hamper! Right now, my husband is the biggest culprit since my boys are 2 and 11 months. What are the ages of your kids, just curious, I haven't been reading long, obviously. And, WOW, you look incredible as a pregnant lady.

Trina said...

OH my...I can totally relate to the laundry issues. My two oldest are at the age where they can do their own, and for the most part they do. So why is my laundry pile so huge still?

Anonymous said...

hee hee! very cute.

i personally have adopted my mother's rule: if you want it returned to you right side out - then that's how it should be put in the hamper. i don't bother.