
So this is me lining up to run the 5k. I wasn't even sure I was going to do that, after not running for over 2 1/2 weeks leading up to the race. It turns out that running is a good thing to do before you run a race. I logged my worst 5k time ever. On a happy note, I bought a super cute running skirt that I love and want to wear around the house just for fun. Love. It.
I know I sound like a total whiner, but honestly I had a ton of fun watching the marathon. My long time running partner, Kelsey, ran as well as our new running buddy, Tammy. Tammy is also a robot. Her husband Dan ran the race too. So it was super festive. I went all out and made signs and brought cowbells. I very well could have been the marathon's most annoying fan as I released my inner cheerleader and yelled encouragement to every single person who went by. Even some people who were just taking a sunday stroll in the park. (old man and old lady)
"YOU'VE GOT THIS! LOOKIN' STRONG!" Watching everyone cross the finish line, whether I knew them or not, was such an emotional experience. I was so choked up as each person came down the chute and completed their race. They are all champs.
Anyway, that's the marathon update. Right now I'm enjoying being a slug and not running at all but I have plans. Plans for the future. Plans to try again. Plans to conquer my knee and conquer the pavement. I hope.
9 comments:
Bummer.
I have watched a marathon finish and it is incredible. I love how everyone cheers the finishers on as they come across. Such a high. In fact, watching that is what motivated me to run a half.
I hope you are able to meet your goals.
hey slug. let's do coffee. and be lazy together.
I'm impressed you even had a goal of a maraton, coming from a sprinter my goal for next summer is a 5k....
As I read this, I kept thinking "Do you see what this means—all these pioneers who blazed the way, all these veterans cheering us on? It means we'd better get on with it. Strip down, start running—and never quit! No extra spiritual fat, no parasitic sins. Keep your eyes on Jesus, who both began and finished this race we're in. Study how he did it. Because he never lost sight of where he was headed—that exhilarating finish in and with God—he could put up with anything along the way: Cross, shame, whatever. And now he's there, in the place of honor, right alongside God." (Heb. 12:1-2)
What a great example to others you are! You are in the race, but have had some setbacks, but still, you ran what you could. But even more, you cheered on the others to see them finish.
Thanks for sharing this. You may have thought you were whining, but I was encouraged as it is a classic example of the body of Christ. You could have pouted, done your small race and gone home. But you chose to hang in there and encourage others, be their cheerleader, and help them to finish well.
Way-to-go Heth!!!!
It was nice of you to cheer everyone on!! I do that as well :)
The Detroit Marathon was last Sunday and I spent a good 3 hours cheering everyone on. 3 full days later, my throat still hurts and my voice isn't back to normal!
It's great you ran that 5k even though you knew it wouldn't be your best. Hope all works out for the best for the next one :)
Awwwww Heth. So sorry it didn't happen for you this year. I can totally relate to that choked up feeling watching everyone...that's how I felt as I waited for you to come down the final stretch at your last marathon. I was a mess!
Keep your head up ;-) Love you.
Maybe, in God's design, all this was to lead you to that perfect running skirt...which will, by its sheer cuteness alone, make your knee no longer hurt, and soon you will be logging pain-free miles like a mad woman.
The day is coming. Keep planning, He's gonna work it out. I know it. And then, I'll be alone in my sluggness. So glad to have you joining me, if only but for a short time.
Love you.
I did a 5k last Febuary (I admit I mostly walked) I was so intimidated not being athletic AT ALL. I loved how strangers cheered me on along the way even though I was walking. I felt like I was part of this special club, you know like an "althletic person's" club. It was awesome and definitly my favorite part of doing the race. Good for you for cheering on all those people I know they really apreciated it.
I'm looking for the "Like" button for Truth's comments.....
So many lessons in life come in unexpected ways. Who knew being an encourager could be so much fun? Maybe it was really a cheerleading skirt you bought. ;-)
Post a Comment