Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Scripture

I'm not very good at memorizing scripture. So, what exactly does that say about me, since I know my scotcheroo recipe by heart? Anyways, when I was a kid my parents had a record? or maybe it was a tape, that was bible verses set to music. I still remember some of them. In order to remember the verse though, I have to sing the little song in my head. Lo and behold, the lyrics are scripture and the scripture is still there.

I've searched and searched for something similar for my kids. The only albums I've been able to find are super cheesy and I can't stand to listen to them in the van for more than three minutes with out wanting to gouge my eyes out. Until now. I came across The Rizers. That's short for "memorizers". I downloaded the album on iTunes yesterday and played it over and over in my kitchen all day long.
I was blown away. How could I have forgotten the power of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God? I take it so lightly sometimes. I do my bible study homework or read out of the Word in the morning and then I'm off to the rest of my day. If I'm going to be honest, a mom only has so much time to sit and ponder. There isn't much meditation time without somebody little needing something or breaking something or peeing on something. My time in the Word tends to be rushed. Yesterday those songs played over and over in my kitchen and as I sang along (sometimes a little too loudly for a middle aged mom), the Holy Spirit did something. He taught me. Things started to pop out of those lyrics in new ways.

For example, I've been really wrestling through some stuff in my life lately, turning things over and over in my mind. I'm always trying to figure it out, what should I do? How should I be? What's my response? What if! What if! And I get myself all worked up and pretty soon I'm a mess. And as I listened to Philippians 4:6-7 all day long, something struck me. That verse is a pillar verse. It's quoted all over the place and I've probably heard it a couple hundred times. It's familiar. It's lost it's punch. And then the Spirit whispered to me "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." How did I miss that all this time? I'm all in a tizzy and freaking out, but Heth...be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication I should make my requests known to who? To God. And how? With thanksgiving. And He will give me His peace. And His peace will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. My heart and mind could sure use some guarding. And I wanted to fall to my knees in worship and thank God that He would give me this encouragement through His word.

And that wasn't the only verse that spoke to me in a new way. There were more. As I listened to a sermon out of Hebrews 12 this morning, Matt Chandler said something that spoke to me, especially in light of what I just experienced yesterday. Sometimes you can't find joy in your circumstances, but when we can't have joy, God gives us peace.

That peace is where I want to live.

9 comments:

Tina said...

I love you.

Catherine Denton said...

How comforting. When my kids were little we listened to Steve Green's Hide 'em in your Heart Vol 1 and 2.

jenni said...

Let's go get some coffee and have a heart to heart. I'm right where you are girly. Love you!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I put this on my ipod today because I too need some serious help hiding His word in my heart.

"My heart and mind could sure use some guarding. And I wanted to fall to my knees in worship and thank God that He would give me this encouragement through His word." Me too my friend.

Angela said...

I love you, too. I'll be downloading this one shortly.

Praying peace over you tonight.

melanie said...

amen sister. i Just prayed that verse tonight.

& must download.

LOVE you.

~Niki~ said...

I needed to hear this today. thankyou!

Ann Kroeker said...

I love it when people come up with such a simple but effective tool to help us do the things we want to do!

Thanks for sharing the great resource!

Unknown said...

Just came across your blog & Im really enjoying it. Your family is beautiful!