Thursday, August 06, 2009

Not Gonna Be From The Top Ten

I am 37 weeks, 3 days. Might be a good idea to think of some names huh?!

I joke that we have used all the names that we agree on. It's somewhat true. The last few kiddos, we have implemented a new plan, he thinks of a boy name, I think of a girl name. Since we don't find out the sex ahead of time, one of us is declared the "winner" in the delivery room and names the poor child.

For one of our kids, we made two lists, boy and girl, of possible names on a napkin at Applebees. We rated the names and did the math as to which one was the winner. Pretty scientific huh? That napkin is in their baby book. It's the only thing in their baby book. At least that one HAS a baby book.

With the first four or five kids, I made a nightly ritual of combing the 1001 baby name book. I would lay in bed and night and throw out random names at Nate, only to be shut down. We did that until the binding on the book split and it had to be thrown away.

This time, I'm getting text messages. "How about ********?" And I reply. "No way." I'm still hanging on to the two names, boy and girl, that he hasn't particularly liked from day one. One of these days we will agree.

One of these 18 days left.

15 comments:

jenni said...

Holy Crap, girl, who do these men think they ARE anyway? We do all the work and they think they can have a say in naming the tyke? It offends all reason! Sheesh.

My DH is the same way, in case you didn't guess. I can rant and rail but in the end, okay, so he IS the father and all that. Harrumph. I still say we should be able to name the fruit of our horrendous labor "Oliver Boliver Butt" if we want to.

our little acorns said...

Ooh, Oliver Boliver Butt, I'm totally adding that to my LIST!

laughing...I love this post so much...down to the napkin in the baby book. We don't choose names until after the baby is born, which drives our mothers CRAZY. Like, crazy-crazy. And this time for some reason, I had a sudden impulse to spend two days doing nothing other than looking up names...except that, since we have all boys, the "boy page" has about two names on it, and the "girl page" is actually two full pages. Oh well. Guess we'll throw the dice in a few weeks and see what we end up with!

Hope your last couple of weeks goes swimmingly! Can't WAIT to see a photo of your new precious babe.

Homegrown Tribe said...

we're last minute namers too. :) I can't wait to see your new little one and I'm sure he/she will have the perfect name!

britt

KarenK said...

I obsess about names from the minute I see two lines on the pee stick.

I think the mother should have full veto power.

Can't wait to hear what you decide.

Anonymous said...

My opinion probably doesn't matter but my favorite girl names are Tiffany, Lorraine, and Halle. Boy names... Maybe Parker and Clint? I just love these names. I have no idea why but once I have kids I finally get to use them lol!!!

Gretchen said...

We've used up all our mutually agreed upon names, too. Acutally, we used them up a while ago (after #3?) and hubby has been winning ever since. I don't know why he even cares, since he can't remember their names anyway. I have been voting for a Toby since #4 (who, to me, LOOKS just like a Toby!) Whenever hubby says "Hey you, what's your name again?" I yell out "That's Toby!" LOL One of these days it will stick? Meanwhile, #7 was named the day after he was born.

Funny story there - we had made an effort to use "unusual" names (i.e. names hubby didn't remember from when he was in school - they didn't turn out to be so unusual for the last 2 decades, but whatever). So #7 he chooses, get this, Jacob. Um, #1 baby name for the past what, 15 years? Hardly unusual!!! Oh well, it wasn't Gunther, so I took it! LOL

Shyla said...

So, I've never commented before, but decided to say hi. The name thing is so fun. I love naming babies. I think I could name babies forever.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello since you seem so similar to me. We just had number seven and I'm 29. I actually know a lot of large families, but rarely is the Mom close in age to me :o)

Blessings to you guys, especially at the end of your pregnancy and the sweet weeks following a new birth :o)

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

can't wait!!!! for the name, AND the baby! *smile*

melanie said...

you make the most beautiful babies and all their names fit perfectly.. i can't wait to meet the baby and see her all cuddled in her wrap! *hugs*

lindsey said...

we've stayed in the hospital longer than we should have with each baby because we couldn't agree on a name. apparently, the baby must have a name in order to be discharged. good thing for us - our kids would probably still be nameless if the hospital didn't pressure us into naming them, ha!

so excited for you!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Naming is so much fun, and yours will be adorable. YAY!

Maybe another trip to Applebees is in order?

gretchen from lifenut said...

17 days now? That's crazy.

I can't wait to meet your new love.

Natalie Joy said...

I think you should let a friend do the naming. Especially if it is a boy! *wink, wink*

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to kiss little Baby toes and watch little stretches and yawns and funny little faces...
And he or she has a name, you just haven't been told what it is yet. :-)

Amy @ Amy's FMQ Adventures said...

Argh! Names. We used a double whammy of two family names for our first son and don't like anything else for baby #3 who is supposed to be a boy. We've got a tentative name, but I'm not wild about it.

I do keep coming up with more girls' names...sigh.