Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oops, I Did It Again.

Nate lounged on the couch, remote control in hand, innocently surfing all six channels we receive with our basic cable package. I stood before him with a sneaky smile on my lips, hands behind my back holding something secret. I grinned and told him "I have something behind my back and I just wanted to show you, you aren't going to like it." About ten seconds passed and a look of realization and panic passed over his face. "DON'T DO IT! Don't dye your hair red!"

He knows me so well.

I was just strolling through the big Walmartizzle last night, searching for milk and hair clips and other important things, when those crafty sirens that grace the covers of boxes of permanence and semi-permanence called to me from the hair color aisle. I usually avoid it altogether because I know my own weakness. I'm telling you, it's almost like withdrawal or something. I go so long with the same color or cut and I just. can't. stand. it. any. more. Normally this would mean a panicked call to schedule an appointment with my fabulous, wonderful, awesome, miracle worker of a stylist, but she had to go and have a baby and is on maternity leave. While I am ecstatic for her and her husband (this is their first), I secretly and selfishly want her to get back to work asap. There is a higher calling and it is to style the hair of the women of America. Let's get our priorities straight people!

So without her guidance and wisdom and counsel to stay away from my old friend Clairol, I caved. It was a moment of weakness. I was giddy. When I stood in front of my bathroom mirror and opened the box, I felt the rush that only home hair color can bring. People. They know me. The marketers have researched me well. They know that instructions featuring a cartoon drawing of a beauty with high cheekbones and a sharp jawline can suck me right in. The gloves! The pointy topped bottle! The smell! I've got it bad.

I applied my "spiced tea" with care only spilling on the bathroom rug once. I waited for ten minutes watching the clock like a hawk. I rinsed. I conditioned.

I AM RED!

But only for 28 shampoos.

(And you have to know that I won't have pictures. Remember, I choose to live in the stone age of a film camera.)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol and what fun you must have had!

My sister is a hair stylist and the last time I tried to save money and cut my sons hair she told him to go hide the hair clippers...ouch.

Tina said...

<<<<< CHANTING >>>>>
We want pictures!
We want pictures!
We want pictures!

Ann said...

I love it!! Red is fabulous on you :)

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I just dyed my hair reddish/brown too! I used "Amber Brown". I'm not sure if I like it...mine is permanant though.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! New hair color is a great way to change things up without doing much damage.

Bet you look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I noticed this morning after we stopped running! It looked great, but between gasps for air and needing to get home right then, I forgot to tell you that I love it!

Sara said...

I'm pretty sure you must KNOW SOMEONE who has a digital camera. Go find them. Take picture. Post. Now. :)

melanie said...

fun, i want to see it! and i wish she were back...

Truth said...

I have used that color and I think it is gorgeous and I'll bet it looks so on you too! One thing I've learned about red-it fades more than any color, but is also the most difficult to remove from hair. How is that possible?

(It's funny, I just added blonde to mine and my dh looked a bit sad. He wants to know when I'm going back "real red.")

Chewy Mom said...

Oh, now when I read the first paragraph, I thought you were going somewhere completely different with the thing-behind-the-back. I was predicting a positive pregnancy test!

So congrats on the new haircolor, but it really isn't fair to not post pics. You simply must!!

Anonymous said...

I love red and I want to see pictures. I used to be a blonde but motherhood decided to send me into brownville. Last week I became blonde again and I am never going back! Woo Hoo! Ya just feel so free don't cha!!! :)

Awnya Boam said...

Congrats on the new do! Its always fun...I am trying to resist the call of the colors myself in the attempt to grow my hair out, but who am I kidding! Soon, I too will cave.
Word to the wise, if you wash your hair in cooler water, the color lasts longer, hot water makes it come out faster.
...Lessons learned the hard way.

Judy said...

You are a brave girl! I'll be looking for ya on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

ok, ok, I KNOW there were at least 4 people in Wal Mart you could've called on for help resisting....well, that's if you wanted to resist!

Laura Lu said...

Wait a minute Ms. Clairol!!!! I know you guys have a camera phone...a camera phone that will take a photo of Spiced-Tea-Better-Than-Ever-Mama-Heath...so go do your thing...stand in front of the mirror or wherever your photo opp of choice is an snap away!

Staci Eastin said...

Great minds think alike. I came home last week with Clairol #30 - Rosewood.

Anonymous said...

i have a weakness of cutting/highlighting my hair.
Except I don't do either myself...

Goslyn said...

I went Desert Sunrise last night! Hilaious.

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

You'll never guess what I was thinking at the beginning of this post?!?!?! You bet...two pink lines! It's almost anti-climactic finding out it was hair dye! LOL!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I'm telling you, I could have signed this post. You are me. Technically, that would be "You are I," but that sounds weird. Anyway, I have tried so many times for red; it always fades. And I do permanent. I get the same rush with the open box, etc. Too funny.