It's funny all of the little memories I had forgotten until I started reflecting. Once I started thinking about spending time with Grandpa when I was a kid, memory after memory came flooding back.
I loved seeing Grandpa and Grandma's car drive up our driveway. It usually meant we would be eating fried chicken, a meal that we didn't ever have unless they brought it. The smell would fill the kitchen as we unpacked the bag from the Colonel. The mashed potatoes with gravy and coleslaw could never beat the lure of the biscuits. Slap on some butter and jelly and oh, it was heavenly. Grandpa would always great us with a robust hug and a big laugh. Sometimes they had just returned from a bus tour of some part of the country and we were always anxious to see what treasures they had brought home for us. A favorite was a little beaded purse from another state, big enough to hold a few coins.
When we visited their house, I loved stepping out the back door to inspect Grandpa's garden. It was always prefect with straight rows of greenery and black dirt. We walked past that garden and down the alley to church when we were visiting for the weekend. I always hoped to sit it the balcony. Sometimes we did. I remember the hymnals and the short stubby pencils for writing on the offering envelope. After church we would walk back to the house for a feast. Grandpa was always right there in the kitchen beside Grandma, helping her cook. I love that about him. He was a man's man, but not so much that he wouldn't help prepare the Sunday meal. The relish tray was never without homemade dill pickles.
28 comments:
Oh Heather, how sad to have him gone. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have such rich, wonderful memories, though. Praying for you and your family. (Is this your mom's dad?)
Oh, Heath, I am so sorry! I pray that you will be blanketed with peace during this time of grieving his loss. I loved to read your memories of him...they are precious!
Truth This is my Dad's dad.
Oh, I'm sorry Heth. Praying your family feels God's grace and peace.
I was in my little hometown this weekend and visited my own grandparents' graves. I still miss them so much, all these years later.
thank goodness he went to be with the Lord though, and like you said at least he lived a full life...
What a blessing your grandparents have been to you! Funny - the only time we ate KFC was when we were with Grandpa too.
Beautiful post, Heth. Soon the whole family will be able to get together and share stories about your grandpa and see little Toby and the kids. It'll be a time filled with happy memories and lots of love!
i'm so sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss- it sounds like you have some wonderful memories of your granddad.
It sounds like he was a wonderful man who lived a full, rich, life. We should all be so very blessed to have great grandkids! It also sounds like your grandparents were a very large part of your life. I often feel hugged by memories of time spent with mine. I hope you are able to have an amazing celebration of a life well lived. Peace be with your entire family.
I still miss my granny and she's been gone for many years now. A psychic once told me that she's my guardian angel so that always makes me feel better.
Oh I am so sorry for your loss you will be in my prayers
prayers going up for your family during your loss.
((Heth)) I'm sorry for you loss.
Heather,
Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers! May you have great peace, and find joy in the memories! I too have a "colonel" memory from my childhood...only from my Dad.
Aw Heth, I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for the Lord's comfort for you and your family.
I'm sorry for your loss... what a comfort to know that he loved the Lord, and that you have so many wonderful memories to look back on. My prayers are with your family.
I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.
it's amazing isn't it? when you reflect on the time you had... it is a long time...but always seems too short.
our prayers are with your family.
Blessings and peace on you as you walk through this, Heather.
Sorry - My condolances to you and your family.
Beth B.
Heth, I am so sorry for your family's loss.
Hugs and prayer for your family's loss.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I just happened upon your blog and really enjoyed it.
Oh oh ohhhh...what a wonderful thing it is to have godly grandparents. We just visited DH's grandmother, who turns 100 in July and it was such a blessing to get to see her.
I am sorry for your loss, Heather, but so glad you had that sweet relationship with him.
Heather, I have named you a recipient of a blogging award. Come on over if you care to check it out. Blessings on you again while you grieve.
i miss him.. he was such a great grandpa.
This is a wonderful tribute.
I can read and see he was a special man. My prayers are with you for comfort in such a loss.
Blessings upon your family.
Post a Comment